Saturday, February 17, 2007

This Chick Took The Words Right Out Of My Mouth


I was all set to post my feelings on ESPN jumping onto the Nascar bandwagon this week by spending tons of time down at Dayton, but then I came across this story from another blog. Since you all know that I'm lazy, here's a decent posta decent post on how ESPN has gone Nascar crazy this week:
What was ESPN's biggest manufacture of the week? The gay athlete issue or NASCAR?

I can't believe ESPN took off, not just bumped, but put on hiatus Around the Horn and Pardon the Interruption to put NASCAR Now on for an hour every sinlge day this week. (Okay, I don't care about ATH, but PTI?! And to think I hated the Bob Ryan/Dan Le Batard vacation combo. Don't know what you got 'til it's gone...) ESPN is clearly very serious about this NASCAR thing. They bumped their prime programs, inserted NASCAR heavily into all the highlight shows and flaunted their fancy set, multiple correspondents and weird headset microphone thingies. Indeed, they did their best to make Waltrip's fluid malfunction into a national crisis.

I don't have anything against NASCAR. It's just not my thing (although I'm southern). Although ESPN is so desperate to force feed NASCAR down our throats that they would place a Black guy known for being a basketball player as a NASCAR analyst, I don't want them taking off my favorite shows for over analysis of crew chiefs and crank shafts (Okay, I learned a lot this week.) So now NASCAR has a new issue. I don't hate NASCAR coverage, but I do resent it.

Ok, I do like the sport, so I'm not as jaded as this broad, but I do think it is a bit ridiculous how quick ESPN jumped on the Nascar bandwagon. I'm no expert when it comes to the mechanical/car type issues involved in this sport, but I can tell that the guys as ESPN really don't what the hell they are talking about when they discuss technical issues. Some of their hosts really need to get up to speed (no pun intended.)

I really wish they warmed up to the sport first, but who can blame ESPN. Nascar is only behind the NFL in terms of tickets sold and television ratings. It's not like they are trying to push the NHL down our throats, so I guess we should all relax.
(By the way, I just learned that Brent Mustberger is hosting the pre race studio show for the Busch races. This is outstanding. We all need more Brent Mustberger in our lives.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Who the BLEEP is Brent Mustberger?

George said...

The only thing that I feel I am being force fed is Brad Daugherty. He looks uncomfortable and out of place. ESPN2 has never been the same network to me since the cancellation of RPM2night and NHL2night. They were my favorite shows. At least they are bringing back the NASCAR. Who gives a &%$! what those arrogant snot windbags on PTI have to say anyway?