Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Eagles' Question Mark Of The Week


I've saved the most important Eagles issue for last.....

WILL D MAC LAST THE YEAR?

I'm pretty sure we all realize that the fate of the 2007 rests on the health of #5. If he fails to stay healthy, then this team is cooked. I really doubt that this team can repeat last year's performance with AJ Feeley at the helm. I just don't have the same feeling about him that Garcia gave me last year. Anyhow, if D Mac can stay reasonably healthy for most of the season, then I think the Birds have a really good shot of ending the year in Glendale, AZ.

Notice I didn't say the performance of #5 will be the key to the Birds' success. I don't think D Mac has to consistently be a world beater like he was for the first seven games of last year. Hopefully, after last year's six game win streak at the end of the season, Andy has learned that he can rely upon the running game and he can use it this year to allow Donovan to ease back into the season.

I read somewhere that Carson Palmer played last year at 80% and Donovan is already at 85%. If that's the case, then if the Birds can ride a successful run game for the first part of the season, then I really like McNabb's chances to be pretty successful in this offense by mid season. Once that happens, watch out. I really think the Birds' offense has the ability to be one of the most well balanced in the league.

Obviously, the main concern with #5 is another freak injury. It would seem that after missing significant time due to injury in 3 of the last 5 years, the odds are in McNabb's favor that he can make it through the season without suffering some head scratching, bizarre injury like the one suffered last year against Tennessee. I would hope that all his injuries over the years have helped McNabb realize that he simply has to give up on some plays and get rid of the ball instead of scrambling around extending plays in order to find an open receiver.

Overall, I doubt that McNabb will be a Pro Bowler this year, but I have a feeling that if Andy and Morningwheg cater to him early in the year, we could see the best of #5 later in the year.

So what do you guys think? This is a red button issue for this team so I'd love hear your thoughts.

By the way, I had to throw this final picture in for Muller since he thinks McNabb is so damn sexay!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

give up on some plays to live another day. the injuries he's sustained were the result of his stubborness.

Jon1BSP said...

You had me until the end, T.

Muller

Anonymous said...

At least he's not kissing anybody.

I read one report that had the Eagles in the top 10 of the league this year. I think that the agles will once again win the NFC East.

Dallas will not do as well as people predict, Washington is awful, and the GIANTS will unfortunately win enough games for Coughlin to get an extension, but will not make the playoffs (8-8, maybe 9-7 if they get lucky).

By the way, this may be the year the GIANTS finally admit Lil Manning is not near the Man his Dad and Older Brother are.

Ahh yes, another gift from Ernie "Ed Wade" Accorsi.

At least there's the World Cup to look to.

Anonymous said...

I give him 2 snaps in a Z formation!