Sunday, July 22, 2007

Pure Theater


I hoped you all had a chance to catch the last two holes and 4 hole playoff of today's British Open. It was fantastic theater. Both Paidrag Harrington and Sergio Garcia pulled Jean Van De Velde's on Carnoustie's maddening 18th hole as they both screwed up chances to win their First Major in regulation. Thankfully for my Irish amigos, Harrington was able to pull it out in the Playoff, but I couldn't help but feel a tad bit sad for The Spaniard. It really looked like he was going to shed his choke artist persona, but Sunday meltdown only enhanced this view. One can only wonder if he's doomed himself to becoming the next Greg Norman.

In any event, he sure made things interesting. I have a feeling we'll see him in similar situations in the coming years.
One last point...see that putt pictured above? If that was a Ryder Cup match, there is no doubt in my mind Sergio would have holed it. He's a great team player, but doesn't have the intestinal fortitude to knock down the big ones in individual tourneys.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Since when do you know that much about golf and/or its players? You must be ripping off comments you heard on the golf channel.

Anonymous said...

I told you on Friday that he would choke. While it did take a little longer than I anticipated . . . I still love to watch this guy blow up. At one point on the front 9 he was up by 4. He just doesn't have the killer instinct you need in a final round. Can't wait to see what he does in the PGA.

Anonymous said...

There was a good article on MSNBC today about this. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19904946/

It basically says he's a sissy that likes to complain that everyone from God to the sand trap raker guy to the PGA is working against him. This guy has more conspiracy theories than Rosie O'Donnell and Riley Martin put together.

Inside joke: I haven't seen someone choke worse than Sergio did except Muller on a dog-leg left!

Jon1BSP said...

It's not choking when you know the ball will go dead right before you even tee it up. That's called "slicing." Get it right dammit!

sbotts said...

The best was when Harrington and Sergio are crossing paths after Harrington hit off the Bridge and into the Water on 18. Sergio laughed at him. And I thought that was it, its over right now...cause it looked like he found the killer instinct he lacked for so long... but then he screwed the pooch


How about Sergio in those Ultra commercials...it was a long drive.

Anonymous said...

Stan,

I like the Riley Martin reference!

George said...

I predicted a Sergio collapse while I was collapsing myself on the golf course Friday.