Saturday, July 05, 2008

A Little B&E Never Disappoints


Whenever I'm experiencing a pretty crappy day, I usually turn to the Philly sports scene to brighten my day. The Phils and Tom Gordon further sullied my day in the 8th inning, so I turned to the Birds' website and my spirits were raised pretty quickly. I came across a "Where Are They Now?" article on PhiladelphiaEagles.com about Byron Evans and boy did it bring back some good memories.

As I've mentioned several times, the Buddy Ryan years, while maybe not as successful as the Andy Reid era, were infinitely more fun and interesting. Sure, Randall was exciting with his "three big plays a game", but the defense was what got everyone jacked up about those teams. With All Pro's all over the field, they could be downright scary at times. Whenever they were really rolling, it always seemed like B&E was in the middle of some big play. Here's a pretty good example:



God, that play brings back some memories and it reminds me how much I hate the G-Men.


The other thing I'll never forget about B&E is how he lost out on the chance to make big money. As some will recall, he suffered a career ending leg injury shortly after being offered a large contract extension by the Eagles. His story is one of the sadder twists of fate I remember an Eagle suffering, so it was nice to hear that it sounds like he is doing well in his post football career.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Watch it again, guess who brings some interior pressure. #90 Mike F'en Golic. I loved that rotation at DT, #99, Golic, and Mike Pitts.

Philly Phan said...

My favorite part of that play is the cheap shot on Bavaro by the immortal Jesse Small as B&E dances into the end zone.

I hate the Giants and always have, but that group of Giants was a bazillion times better than last year's group. Everyone made a big deal about the Giants' defense last year, but I think maybe one guy (Strahan) from last year's team would beat out a defensive starter for the G Men from the mid 80's to early 90's. The quality of play in the NFL is putrid these days.