Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Now It All Makes Sense


For a while there, I was really trying to understand the motivation behind the Phils sending Brett Myers down to the minors. However, after tonight's outstanding performance by the Wife Beater against the 30 game under .500 Washington Nationals, I finally figured it out. He was sent down to Lehigh to learn how to beat Triple A teams. Tonight, the lessons he learned paid off as Myers gave up 1 run, 4 hits and 1 walk over 7 innings on his way to earning his 4th win.

Kudos to JC Romero and Chad Durbin for getting out of the 8th inning jam. It could have gotten ugly quick when JC entered the 8th with two on and nobody out, but our bullpen did the job again.

I have to say I'm still concerned with our inability to score runs without home runs. It is a frightening trend that has plagued this team for years. This team is crying for an outfielder that just makes contact and puts the ball in play.

1 comment:

Philly Phan said...

Christ, this is a tough crowd. I thought I crafted that joke pretty well. Maybe it wasn't clear that I was referring to Washington as a Triple A team. Or maybe the joke isn't that funny. Oh well, back to the drawing board.