Thursday, July 17, 2008

This Is Our Big Acquisition? Well, He Is Big



Tonight, I checked my hotmail account and was greeted with seemingly good news from an email sent by the Phils with the subject line of "Phils shore up staff". I then excited opened the email and learned that the Phils just traded their best position player prospect for an overweight pitcher that has a 5-12 record and a nearly 5.00 ERA this season. I was left wondering, how exactly does this "shore up" our starting staff?

I then checked out all the Phils message boards I frequent and they were all in full meltdown mode. They universally despised the trade. I also found out that Blanton is a fat turd, which automatically makes him more endearing to me. They even already started photoshopping pictures making fun of his largess.


I then read Todd Zolecki of the Inquirer's take on the deal and feel a little better. Here's his take:
Why Blanton over other pitchers out there? There could be a few reasons. Take away his four worst starts this season and he has a 3.58 ERA, which is more than respectable in the American League. He went 16-12 in 2006 and 14-10 in 2007, so he has a winning track record. He also has thrown more than 194 innings each of the past three seasons, which makes him an "innings eater" -- something Eaton is not. But he’s also intriguing because he can’t become a free agent until after the 2010 season, so this isn't a 2 1/2 month rental.
I guess I'll give this move some time. Blanton can't be any worse than Myers or Eaton. Plus, maybe I'll run into him making a late night cheesesteak run at Tony Luke's some time this season. You know....fat guys like to stick together.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

i didn't realize he's not walking away after the season. maybe this kid can be a #3,4 for the next few seasons. we certainly need depth in the rotation. Aside from Cole and Lieutenant there's question marks in 2009 and beyond.

a 5.00 ERA in the AL is like a 4 here in the NL.

Dan Maiese said...

Totally agree with the "can't be any worse" argument. I wrote something similar.

Too stand pat and keep throwing Adam Eaton out there is just plain stupid.

I like this move much better than the price they would have to pay for A.J. Burrnett. Completely over-rated. I'll gladly take my chances with deal. Just enough to make me think they care, yet conservative enough to not screw themselves over for the next few years.

Philly Phan said...

I agree w/ both of you...For once, this team traded for someone who isn't in the last year of his deal. I like that. Second, I'm glad we didn't over pay for a head case like Burnett or an injured Bedard. Who knows, maybe this place will suit him.

George said...

Can we put this guy on a diet?

Philly Phan said...

Diet? Eff that...Fat guys are more fun to watch.