Saturday, July 05, 2008

Hopefully, This Doesn't Start A Trend


Tonight's Phils' 9-4 loss to the Mets reminds me of the following line from the best movie ever made:

Normally, both of your sorry asses would be deader than f*&king fried chicken by now, but you happened to pull this sh*t while I'm in a transitional period, so I don't wanna kill you. I wanna help you.
If you haven't figured it out, I'm talking about J.C. Romero and Tom Gordon, in terms once used by Jules Winnfield in Pulp Fiction.

It's really hard to be mad at our 'pen for blowing tonight's Phils' game with a pretty f*%ked up, repugnant performance (Yes, I now have Jules Winnfield on the brain). Christ, the bullpen has been pretty much air tight all year and haven't blown a game like this in a pretty long time, so I'd look like a complete fool if I ripped them. Plus, my boy Aran has been trying to convince me to view life more positively.

Nevertheless, I think we learned something this evening. We might be using Juan Carlos it bit much. As effective as he's been, it's hard to forget he was let go twice last year before ending up with the Phils and finding his groove. In any event, we might want to find another lefty to use before J.C.'s arm falls off.

I also don't think I'm surprising anyone when I say that we've seen the end of Flash Gordon as a reliable set up man. Maybe this is where we could use the Wife Beater. We could banish Flash to being a utility type reliever (aka the one currently held by the worthless Rudy Seanez) and move Brett Myers into the 8th inning role. Of course, that does leave a giant hole in the rotation, but I'm fairly confident another starter will be brought in before long. (Whether the starter we pick will be a stud is another question for another day.)

The thing that really set me off is that this performance had to happen against the Mets. I hate watching their scum bag fans celebrate in our stadium. In fact, it sickens me. Hopefully, Lt. Kendrick picks up the slack tomorrow.

(By the way, if you think this post was an excuse to throw some Pulp Fiction lines into my blog, you know me too well.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hard to blame the pen, but why doesn't Mad Dog pitch the 8th. He only threw 4 pitches to get out of a jam in the 7th. I guess it was the Left Left thing w/ JC.

Here's the thing about Gordon, he has 34 appearances, and 31 have been good. 3 have been awful, including the opening day disaster. This was his first blown save in over a year. He's not the problem. The fact that he's +40 w/ a shoulder ligament holding on by a thread is the concern. They're still 3.5 up on Fla and 4.5 on thy Mets. Its still early, the real season starts around this time next month.

Philly Phan said...

W/ Lidge signed for a couple more years, Myers is coming back as the highest paid 8th inning guy in MLB history. Christ, the Yankees and Red Sox wouldn't be caught dead paying a set up guy $12M.