Saturday, July 05, 2008

A Personal First


I've been meaning to comment on a personal matter that brought great satisfaction. Matter of fact, my buddy Donny is probably shocked that it took me this long to mention. I'm proud to announce that back on Friday, June 27th, yours truly recorded his first Birdie in a round of golf on the 418 yard, Par 4, 2nd hole of the Scotland Run Golf Course.


Of course, some people may chalk this happening up to something along the lines of "the blind squirrel finding a nut". This may be true, but I'd like to think there was some skill involved. I did my drive over 250 yards and then put my approach shot about 3 feet from the cup. (Although, Donny did tell me that had I hit the approach crisply, I probably would have over shot the green, but really who gives a crap? It's only the results that matter, right?)


I then calmly drained the Birdie putt to the excitement of my playing partners. Ok, truth be told, I barely made the putt and just about everyone else thought I missed it off the putter.


I quickly redeemed my true level of skill on the third hole, which I promptly triple bogeyed. Nevertheless, that birdie will pretty much keep me playing for at least the rest of the season.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Let it be known, you hit (not did) your driver about 20 yards past me and stuck your iron shot to three feet. The putt, lets just say you put a confident stroke on it. i'm sure if that one misses the cup its off the green and you're looking at bogey or worse. I'll also add, the second hole happens to have 2 greens, and the green in which we played is the more difficult by a mile. One esteemed Scot Run employee told me they only use that green once or twice a season because its so difficult it slows down play by 30 mins per round?

So, you very well have made the only birdie on that green the entire day. No wait, possibly the only birdie on that green all season. In fact, it may be the first time there's ever been a birdie on #2 left green in the history of Scotland Run? Think about it, 10 years of golf, they use the green only 2 times a years. 20 days, 80 rounds 1600 golfers.

Hey, great 3 and it was done w/ skill.

Jon1BSP said...

I bet it had something to do with that hybrid someone built for you.

Anonymous said...

What had something to do with the hybrid - the birdie or the triple bogie?

Philly Phan said...

On the Birdie, I went driver, 8 iron to the green. On the third hole, I listened to Donny who convinced me I could chip it out of the woods on to the green after my drive went into the woods.

As for the hybrid, I can only hit it out of the rough...on a fairway, I'm useless w/ that club. Off the tee, I'm hit and miss. I don't think I know how to hit the club. Do I swing it like an iron or flatter like a wood?

Jon1BSP said...

Iron. Towards the middle of your stance.