Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Bye, Bye Spectrum


Today, we were greeted with the sad news that the Spectrum is being knocked down for the sake of progress. Comcast plans to put a W Hotel, bars, restaurants, shopping, etc on the current Spectrum site. I'm still dumbfounded by this decision on several levels, but what the hell do I know about business? They get millions of people to pay $170+ month for cable, phone and internet service, while I toil away in the reinsurance industry.

While I understand the need for the extra restaurants and especially bars (have you tried getting into McFaddens lately? It is an absolute mess.) near the sports complex, but why did they need to tear down the Spectrum? Couldn't a creative engineer/architect come up w/ a plan to build this "Philly Live" project around the Spectrum? Plus, by tearing down the Spectrum, Comcast Spectacor is going to lose a ton of event dates. I'm not sure why they are so anxious to forgo all those Country Music concerts, Indoor Soccer games, and Moto-Cross events.




The other thing I don't quite understand is why they think an upscale W hotel will be successful down at the sports complex. I figure that the place will do boffo business every time the Eagles are in town, and I'm sure various visiting teams will stay there, but if you are coming in for business, why on earth would you stay down there, so close from the business district in Center City? I'm really befuddled by this move. I've been in other cities with W hotels and they were never this far from the main hub of the city. W Hotels are usually pretty swanky. It would make more sense to me if it was down in Old City, not in the middle of a waste land of parking lots.

Finally, I'm pretty pissed that this move forces the Phantoms to be moved to another location. I like the fact that they still play in the city and give families another option if they want to see a hockey game. I hope they don't move too far.

5 comments:

Jon1BSP said...

"I'm not sure why they are so anxious to forgo all those Country Music concerts, Indoor Soccer games, and Moto-Cross events."

Even though I love soccer, that may be one of the funniest things you ever wrote.

Anonymous said...

I think the hotel can pull from the airport. Business travelers have few choices other than the Marriott. Bars/Restaurants are seriously needed down there too.

I'll miss the Spectrum, but could care less about any event they've hosted in the last 10 years.

Anonymous said...

"I'm still dumbfounded by this decision on several levels, but what the hell do I know about business?" This coming from someone who just spent how many years toiling away at an MBA? Dude, get a refund.

Jon1BSP said...

"Two-plus years of grad school and all I got was this stupid MBA*."

* - degree currently being used as a bib.

George said...

I detect a lot of sarcasm here. It was well known that you did not like the building anymore. The Spectrum demolition is a travesty. There are still a ton of events held there, and the seating views are 10 times better than the cavernous Wachovia Center. Hotels, movie theaters, and overpriced shops will do nothing for me. This comes right at the time when my son is just getting old enough to attend the family friendly and affordable Phantoms games. I am upset.