Monday, July 21, 2008

Odds and Ends

I've come across some interesting items lately that I figured I'd share.

Check these out:

-This is a pretty decent preview of the upcoming Phils/Mets supremely important showdown this week. I love how fat ass Joe Blanton was described as burly. Is this replacing "big boned" as the complimentary way to describe a fat guy? If so, I'm not longer the chubby guy, I'm the burly guy.

-You can tell it is a slow part of the sports season when the Inquirer takes up half a page in the Sunday paper to talk about B West's horse farm in Maryland. My life is complete now that I know Westbrook finds horse riding as a peaceful alternative to his football career.



-Joffrey Lupul's contract was extended for 4 years at $4.25M per. I can't say I'm totally on board here. I don't think he did enough last year to justify a nearly $2M per year raise. Yeah, I understand he was hurt pretty much the whole second half and still scored 20 goals. Plus, he does look like a cool guy to hang with judging from this photo so maybe he's worth it.(He's the nut with the green sunglasses.)

-According to Peter King in his MMQB column, the Birds are more than $18 million under the 2008 salary cap. Can someone please explain to me why the Westbrook extension hasn't been completed yet? They have a ton of money this year. Friggin' use it and make this guy happy. I swear the Eagles drive me f'n crazy.

-We received good news/bad news as far as the NFC East goes. One Pro Bowler (Jason Taylor) is coming in, but another is leaving (Jeremy Shockey). I'm going to miss Shockey I loved to hate him, but I would have loved him on the Eagles. By the way, whatever happened to the Birds adding another top notch player this offseason?

3 comments:

Jon1BSP said...

A, no link to said pic of Lupul. B, no comment on Stevens being named Coach of the Year by the Hockey News??

FAIL

George said...

You were all about Lupul last year. I was sour on him in the second half. Why the flip flop now?

Philly Phan said...

Muller, (A) do you want to be my editor? (B) BFD. South Jersey Bloggers Illustrated named me Sports Blogger of the Year. You don't see me publicizing that, do you?

George, I do like Lupul. I like him a lot, but not at $4M+ a year. In today's capped league, you can't throw crazy money at people. Unless he becomes a 30 goal scorer, I don't think he's worth it.