Friday, September 12, 2008

Dearly Beloved....


(I wrote this after the game on Wednesday, but due to technical difficulties it is being posted today. Sorry about that!)

We are gathered here today to pay our respects to the 2008 Phillies. They officially died today in the top of the 8th inning when Brett Myers and Chad Durbin combined to give up the deciding runs agains the Marlins. The Phils are now 4 games back in loss column in both the NL East and the NL Wild Card with only 16 games left to play. We should not expect another miracle. I simply can't see the Mets or Brew Crew falling apart down the stretch like the Mets did last year when both teams have stud #1 pitchers.


We will be left wondering what happened to this year's team. At different parts of the season, the Phils had a productive offense, respectable starting pitching and a dominant bullpen. Unfortunately, they could never put it all together and the offense went ice cold at several points in the season with the bullpen absolutely shit the bed since the 13 inning game victory against the Mets last month.


I'll remember the great early season by Utley, Ryan Howard's moonshots and horrible at bats, the whacky up and downs of Brett Myers, Brad Lidge becoming the most reliable Phils' closer of all time and that crazy finish early in the season when Victorino threw a Brave out at the plate to save a victory.


However, since we are a pessimistic group of phans, I'll remember more the frustration level that I experienced with this group of Phillies. Something was missing with this group. Alas, the magic just wasn't there and now it's time to say good bye to this group as they head into the afterlife.

4 comments:

gump said...

Great Job Phan!! Your magical words have sparked this group...yet again. As I type this comment, Brett Myers just finished his CG, sweep of the Brewers, thus we sit tied for the Wildcard. I must admit, I shared your sentiments last week entirely, especially after Uncle Cholly ripped the fans. I, of course, am thinking of putting some coin down on RU next week, since you have buried them as well!! What IS up with them??

Philly Phan said...

Gump...nice to see you on the site. BTW, were you at East Greenwich Day on Saturday. I thought I saw you but thought "why would he be here." Let me know.

Anyhow, the Phils are driving me nuts w/ how up and down they are. Victorino, Werth, the Big Man, J Roll, Myers, the entire pen except Lidge have looked great and like shit at numerous times this season. If they can show some consistency and 9 and 3 over the last 12, I think they are in for one of the spots.

As for RU, they got issues. The 5th Yr Sr QB is making freshman mistakes. The O Line was crushed by graduation the last two years. The receivers read their press clippings all off season and aren't playing up to the hype. The defense is a complete mess. I think the LB'ers are better than last year, but the DT's are push overs and the secondary is a train wreck. Schiano has shown he can grow the program but now has to show he can coach. I guess we'll see if he's worth the 2M/yr.

gump said...

Nah, wasn't me at EG Day, sorry!! Look at you though, already mixin' it up with the townsfolk, huh? Do I smell aspirations for Mayor of East Greenwich some day?? Congrats on the house by the way, both selling and buying, and welcome to Gloucester County haha!!
I think the Phils have somehow found that magic again, but I almost don't want to acknowledge it, just enjoy it and pretend like it's not happening, because it seems the minute I/you/we/any Phils' fan acknowledges it, they shit the bed....but I will be watching and hoping...and hoping...and hoping!!
Yeah, RU has some major issues...I can't get into the detail that you do, but I do know that their secondary BLOWS, I watched CB's attempt more arm tackles than me and The Capt combined in our Sophomore year when we both weighed in at a buck 45 soaking wet (yes, The Capt. weight 145 - sorry Tulls!!) They better do something...and quick!!

George said...

You had to know the Brewers were going to choke. They do so every year. What I didn't expect was for the Phillies to suddenly play well. I expected the Brewers and Phillies to choke and for Fast Eddie's Astros to take the wild card.