Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Tastes Great....Less Filling

Last night's Birds/Boys Monday Night Football game, provided a ton of great, fun moments and memories, but ultimately the Birds just couldn't get it done as the Boys took advantage of a curious fumble at a very inopportune time and the defense pretty much let the Cowboys do whatever they wanted all night long.

Despite the loss, I came away from this game feeling really good about this team. D Mac looks completely healthy and has the look of a mature QB ready to lead his team to great things. Other than the ridiculous fumble in the 4th quarter, I really do not have any complaints about D Mac' s performance thus far in the 2008 season. He has the look of a guy who is ready to dominate. Unfortunately, the same thing can't be said of the defense.

Last night's loss falls squarely on the shoulders of the defense. The Birds failed to generate any pressure on the QB and had no answer for stopping Jason Witten, which maily fell to the responsibility of Brian Dawkins. While I think Trent Cole and friends will show up at some point this season and provide a better than average pass rush, I really think we have to come terms with the fact that B Dawk is done as a useful player in the NFL. In fact, if we had anyone competent behind him, I think the Birds would have done to Dawkins what they did to Trotter last year. It's sad to say as I really appreciate everything the guy did for the Birds over the years, but he's done and the Eagles would be better off with someone younger at that spot on the field.

The Birds now come back to Philly for another big time matchup against the formidable Steelers. We really could be looking at a 1-2 hole after this Sunday. However, if the offense shows up and plays similar to how they looked last night, I think we'll be ok.

Here are some other thoughts:

-I heard a rumor that the ball that Tony Romo fumbled on the Birds first defensive TD in more than a year, was the same K ball he bobbled at the end of the Seahawks/Boys Wild Card game two years ago.

-When DeSean Jackson prematurely celebrated his touchdown last evening, I thought it was the first time I had ever seen anything like it in my life. Boy was I wrong. Not only has there been several similar moments like that, but it wasn't DeSean's first experience screwing up a TD celebration.



I guess my memory is starting to go on me.

-Why wasn't one of our three main corners used to cover Jason Witten? Christ, the Boys barely have a 2nd WR option, let alone a 3rd.

-Did Stewart Bradley even suit up last night? Other than get beat deep by Marion Barber, he was inconspicuous last night.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It seems Dawkins was picked on last evening in pass coverage, but I don’t know if we need to Trotter him just yet. He supported the Run pretty well from what I could tell. (only thru the 1st half on my second review of the game) The short Owens TD, he has no chance. Let’s see a couple more games and make a determination if he needs to come out on obvious passing situations around the bye week.

I’m more disappointed in JJ and some obvious personnel mistakes he’s making. Sean Considine has no purpose on the field. Why wouldn’t JJ move Sheldon to safety in the nickel and dime defense, bringing Joselio Hanson back into his nickel CB role (which he’s pretty good at). Thus you’re getting your “best players on the field.” Additionally, I’m ready to concede until Clemons changes tampons, we do not have another DE (Cole) on the team that can bring pressure. Its time for Gocong to put his hand in the dirt on 3rd downs, if he doesn’t work, then look at the rookie Smith. I feel like we have some depth and we’ll need to rotate guys in and out on defense especially (because we’re small up front) to stay fresh over 16 games.

Bradley and the entire LB core struggled mightily last nite.