Tuesday, October 14, 2008

And He's Buying The Stairs-way To Heaven


In a word....wow. That's all I got right now. Wow. I am still trying to figure out how this happened. This game teetered on disaster just about every inning from the 5th through the 8th, but the Phils found a way.

For the umpteenth time this season, I counted these guys out. This time it was Ryan Howard throwing the ball away that forced me to give up and almost call it a night. However, my new hero saved the day and renewed my faith in all things good and decent.

Matt Stairs saved the day and put us one win from the World Series. Matt Fucking Stairs. Who knew he was on the team? (Ok, I did realize he's on the squad...it's a joke.) I don't know about you guys, but Matt Stairs speaks to my demographic. He's old, he's unathletic, he's bald and he's fat. He gives guys like me hope. He looks more like a plumber than a slugger, but looks can be deceiving. Stairs absolutely opened a can of whoop ass on that ball. To use an old phrase, "balls hit that long have an in flight movie and meal."

By the way, big props to Shane Victorino. He should be carrying around Jules Winnfield's wallet because he is one Bad Mother Fucker. He has been the catalyst of everything good that has happened to this team in the postseason. Ryan Madson deserves a big hand as well. He kept the Phils in the game with 1 and 2/3rds scoreless innings after Chad Durbin single handedly tried to give the game away.

The Phils have an off day to savor this win and get mentally ready to try and close this series out behind their ace on Wednesday.

Lord, please let this be the end of the series. My heart can't take much more of this.
Finally, I have to agree with Greg Dobbs' sentiments:



Editor's Note: I felt pretty excited about my headline until I went to MLB.com and the Daily News. Apparently, it was not as witty as I thought.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yea, i quit on them too. Nice pop for Stairs, but Shane is the heart and soul of this squad.

Jon1BSP said...

You're killing me with that title.

George said...

I am thrilled that the Phillies are one win from the World Series, but I have some complaints:

1. I can't stand the broadcasters when the Phillies are on national TV. They want a Boston-LA series so bad it is sickening. Their comments make me want to go through the screen and choke them.

2. The start times of the games and the added commercials in between innings are ridiculous. They must be running at least five minutes of commercials between innings. You start the game at 8:30 and then drag it out to become a 4 hour game with all of the commercials and you wonder why there are less baseball fans now? No child can stay up to watch any of these games and no adult that has a normal 8 AM start time at work can make it through the entire game without fighting to stay awake. If you do watch it all, you are worthless the next day at work.

3. Why is it that every other major league team has caught on to the fact that there are good baseball players in Japan and the Phillies have yet to ever have an effective Japanse player on their roster? The Japanese influx started about 15 years ago. Maybe in another 15 the Phillies will realize it.

Jon1BSP said...

They're slowly making their way towards Japan. They have a Hawaiian now. Next will be someone from Guam or Okinawa, and then a Japanese player will follow.

You can't rush these things.

Anonymous said...

although i agree w/ most of your points George, you are a buzz kill. The best baseball win in the last 15 years and you bitch. You must be a glass half empty kinda guy?

Unknown said...

Like I texted you after Game 1, it just feels different this year. The boys just keep pulling it together like I haven't seen since...well, 1980. Let's hope this Cinderella story ends the same!

PS Shane IS the heart and soul. Reminds me of Dave on the Beaners. Little guy, big heart. Would even take one in the nuts to help the team.

Philly Phan said...

Muller, I stand by the title. I thought it was good.

George, I agree w/ you about missing the local broadcasters, but I disagree w/ the start time. When they start us at 4 or 6, I feel like second class citizens. I also agree w/ the comment about the Japanese. Why are we so behind on this trend, which leads me too....

Muller, I almost spit out my coffee when I read the joke about Hawaii/Japan. Well played,sir.

Stan, great visual. Every time Victorino makes a big play, I will always link it to Dave getting hit in the nuts back during the Beaners days. Christ, all we need is Bove to check in and we might have the starting lineup of the Beaners.

George said...

My complaints are mostly about MLB and Fox. PSP, the normal 7 PM start time would be fine for me. With a 4 hour Fox game, you still wouldn't get done until 11, but I can live with that. I agree that the 4 PM and 6 PM games are too early because the average person can't get home from work in time for that.

gump said...

Stan, I will no longer be able to look at Victorino without seeing Dave...what a perfect comparison!! I have to admit, the start times are killing me too, but I also agree that starting at 4 or 6 is total bush league, so, I'll take the 8:22 starts and battle through it the next day. I'll see everyone at Broad and Snyder in South Philly tonight when ......................(the following text has been deleted as not to disturb the baseball Gods, we are also responsible for guarding William Penn at City Hall as to prevent any bandwagon jumpers from clothing him in any type of Phillies paraphenalia - please Baseball Gods, you did your work this year, you kept the Cubs from advancing....may you rest another year and let the Phillies play well into October!!)

Jon1BSP said...

Just throwing this out there - I'm not sure Dave volunteered to take that shot in the nuts that game.

gump said...

Do you remember how he used to run around with his stick on the floor the whole time. I'm SURE he didn't mean to take one in the nuts!! No offense Dave!!

Philly Phan said...

Once a Beaner....Always a Beaner.

I got to agree to about Dave on the hockey court. He was the smallest goon in the history of hockey.