Friday, October 10, 2008

More Game 1 Magic


After sleepwalking through the first five innings, the Phils exploded with three runs off two clutch home runs by previously non existent Chase Utley and Pat Burrell. Once he got through a shaky first inning, Cole Hamels really pulled it together and gave up only one more run the rest of the night. He once again showed that he is a big time, ace, #1 starter. (Unfortunately, he's only the third one in my life time, joining Lefty and Schill.) Lidge looked pretty solid as well. He got in front of batters and then got them swing weakly to the outfield. I like the way he is looking.


Tomorrow, we turn to Brett Myers to see if he can pick up from where he was in Game 2 of the Brewers series. I wish I could ask expert prognosticator, John Smoltz, what he thought. I also love how the entire media has automatically ceded this game to the Dodgers. I don't think it is as easy as that.


Here are some other observations:
-Excuse for stating the obvious, but Manny Ramirez is really friggin' scary when he comes up. The guy can flat out hit. Seems like he hits every thing hard.
-I already can't stand Andre Ethier. Every time I hear his name, it reminds me of some wussy French Canadian defenseman that plays for Montreal. My love for hockey has taught me not to be too fond of Frogs. I don't like this guy.
-Was anyone else expecting an athletic Black dude to come up to the plate when you heard the name "Russell Martin" instead of a dumpy looking White Guy that could pass for an auto mechanic?
-Pat Burrell runs like he has glass in his shoes.
-I repeat: Manny scares me. The boogie man checks under his bed for Manny Ramirez.
-Whoever let Ricky Bo go on set tonight in that suit should be fired. I think I wore that same suit/tie combination to my high school senior portrait day. By the way, why the eff is Ricky Bo even on the post game show? They couldn't find anyone better? Was Tyler Green busy that day? As my buddy Johnny wondered, "what's next? Will Ben Rivera work as a sideline reporter in Game 2?"
-If my buddy Johnny Gold keeps quitting on the Phils like he did in the 5th inning tonight, we might be celebrating a title pretty soon.
-Despite the HR's he gave up, I'd love to see Derek Lowe in Phillies' red pinstripes next year. Plus, he has a great nickname (D-Low).
-Tim McCarver is really, really annoying. Some of the b.s. he was coming up with was ridiculous.
-I really want to do a live blog while watching one of these games. I always find that I'm more funny at work than here at home.

No comments: