Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Expect the Unexpected


It seems like the entire Delaware Valley is scared. Everyone I come across seems to think it's foregone conclusion that the Phils lose tomorrow and Game 6 and have to try and salvage the series in Game 7. It seems like the National and Local media thinks the decision to halt the game last somehow favors the Rays and swings the momentum in their favor. Honestly, I was in the same boat until lunch earlier today.




Thanks to my buddy Voegs, I now realize that perhaps the suspension of Game 5 wasn't such a bad thing. The only guy who really stepped up in the moment was Cole Hamels (at least until the rain turned him into a one pitch pitcher). In the last couple innings before play ended, our hitters were swinging at junk and pretty much looked petrified when someone came up with men in scoring position (yes, I'm talking to you Pat Burrell). I don't think I'm stepping out on a limb when I say that J Roll, Ryan Howard and Chase Utley totally looked tight and unprepared. The game was totally slipping away from the Phils (literally and figuratively).


Now that the initial frustration has subsided, I have come to the realization that the suspension of Game 5 might have the opposite effect of what everyone expects. Sure Tampa gets to live another day and Cole is unavailable, but what real tangible benefit did the Rays gain? Plus, the Rays have been sitting around in Wilmington hearing the national media fawn all over them and telling them how it's a foregone conclusion that this series is now going 7. After seething over the situation for the past couple days, I fully expect the Phils will be ready to take out their frustrations on the Tampa bullpen and bring home a World Series title tomorrow night (or whenever the weather allows play to resume.)


My prediction is that the Phils score three runs in the bottom of the 6th and then the bullpen locks things down the rest of the way, culminating with Lidge getting that last out via strike out and touching off the biggest celebration seen in this city since the Doc, Moses, the Boston Strangler and Mo paraded down Broad Street in 1983.


I don't know why I'm so positive lately. I have to say. It really is much easier to be negative.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The initial chess match in the bottom of the 6th should set the tone with a pinch hitter for Cole Hamels, then Rollins & Werth. I'm with you on staying positive on this one. I think the Phils will come out loose and be ready to put the Rays out of their misery.

**you don't think Rollins is pissed about missing that pop-up? Trust me, he'll be looking for payback along with the rest of the lineup (Pat the Bat????).

TF

Unknown said...

WE WON! WE WON! WE WON! We WON! by the way - thanks for the shout out!