Sunday, October 26, 2008

It Doesn't Get Much More Bizarre Than That


This game was rolling along to plan for 6 innings then it got really, really friggin strange.

The Phils had just hit back to back HR's to chase Matt Garza and took a seemingly safe 4-1 lead into the Top of the 7th. Then the strange-ness kicked off when Jamie Moyer used just about every bit of athleticism in his body to get to a bunt and flip the ball to the Big Man to nail Carl Crawford by a quarter of a step, but the Ump totally blew the call. That seemed to give the Rays life as they picked up two runs in the 6th to turn a potential laugher into a nail biter.


Then BJ Upton put his stamp on tonight's game when he single handedly tied the game in the Top of the 8th by finally deciding to show up and run hard. As Joe Buck said (he's starting to grow on me), you can excuse him stealing second. But the steal of third and the subsequent errant throw by Ruiz is what's killing me, especially after watching how Tampa handled the same exact situation in the bottom of the inning, which brings me to....


Jayson Werth is a complete friggin' idiot. Did he have any awareness that the Ray's shortstop was playing him as if he was a first basemen? That play was inexcusable. I was willing to overlook his baserunning mistake in Game 2, but now I have to turn my back on him. He's dead to me. What a stupid ball player.


One of Charlie's best decisions tonight was not bringing in Lidge in the 9th. Everyone knows how bad Lidge is in non save situations. I didn't agree with leaving JC in, but it all worked out.


The bottom of the ninth was bizarre. Flat out weird. They hit Bruntlett and his playoff beard. Then a wild pitch, which advances the runner to third after the Rays catcher throws the ball into right center. Then we have to sweat out two intentional walks, a five man infield and an infield hit that seemed to move so excruciating slow that I changed emotions three times.


Now, we are half way there. Moyer was fabulous. Can we get the same thing out of Blanton tomorrow? I'm doubtful. However, I'm just going to let things ride. Things can't get more unpredictable than tonight.


-Leslie Gudel just reported that Tim McGraw spread some of Tug's ashes on the mound before the game. That's awesome. Simply friggin' awesome. Gotta love Tim McGraw. I need more Tim McGraw in my life. I am going to buy his CD on principle....and I ain't the biggest phan of Country Music.


-What was up with that weird friggin' fish song played when the Rays were introduced? Whoever made that decision should be fired. Totally freakin' weird.


-By the way, what did you guys think of the live blog? Very emotion filled.




4 comments:

Anonymous said...

good work, but we should be in a bar or at someone's house. Every 15 years they make the WS and we're all sitting home by ourselves. I'm thinkig if we're in PJ's we got a shot and some celebration strange. You know, these young chicks get caught up in the moment and the next thing you know......

Anonymous said...

I'll go one step further, i guarantee Philly Danny saw a boobie or two and i'm guessing he got some hugs from drunk young hot ass b/c he had the commitment and lack of responsibilty to be able to enjoy this one in a public establishment. I say, we need more people like him.

Philly Phan said...

Unfortunately, Danny was in tonight also...he's ready to go out now though. Danny is always telling me stories of strippers, hookers, and other shady broads. Good for him. I'm sitting here watching the post game...typing. Not very exciting.

Philly Phan said...

BTW, if you weren't already Danny's favorite Tony friend, those comments will keep you in his good graces forever, but he'll never see them because he is afraid of computers. He thinks they are a device invented to steal his soul a little bit at a time every time he uses it.

Ok, I'm delirious. I have to go to bed.