Sunday, October 19, 2008

Lazy Sunday

On a Sunday where the Birds are on a Bye and our NL Champion Phils are still waiting for their foe in the upcoming World Series, I think we all had to search for things to do. I thought I'd watch a little football, but the choices on CBS and FOX were flat out brutal. Does the Giants/Niners, Steelers/Bengals, and Jets/Raiders excite you? Yeah, me neither. Even the Sunday night game featuring the Bucs/Seahawks had an after thought as I'm sure a good deal of the fans in the seats are more concerned with Game 7 of the ALCS played down the street in St. Petersburg. So, to say I was a bit bored today is a major understatement. I actually looked forward to our family trip to BJ's today. Yes, it was that kind of Sunday.

It made me think of this classic SNL skit:



Anyhow, I was able to survive until Game 7 of the ALCS started. I'm sitting here watching it in the 5th inning with the game tied, but the Rays threatening. (The Rays got one to make it 2-1. The Sox are still being 1 hit and coming to bat.) I have to say...neither of these teams have me scared to death. It doesn't seem to me that the AL is sending its usual juggernaut to the Fall Classic.

Honestly, I'd rather face Tampa. If they win tonight, there has to be a sense of relief on their part that they were able to stave off a potential major collapse. Plus, their such a young group of kids, they might be happy to have beaten the Sox and not be ready to face the Phils right from the beginning.

As for the Sox, if they get in, you'd have to think that they would be coming in bulging with confidence thinking that they somehow escaped with their lives and believe they are harder to kill than Jason Voorhees. I don't want to deal with them and that kind of roll. Although, I think their lineup without Manny and a banged up Big Papi is now completely mortal.

In any event, I'm flipping over to Entourage even though I completely missed last week's. Oh well, I guess I have something to watch for the next 21 minutes. (Yes, HBO, don't think I haven't noticed that your one remaining entertaining show jips me out of 9 minutes of viewing pleasure so the show can eventually be syndicated on Comedy Central.)

I just can't wait until tonight's over so we can start focusing on baseball again. This layoff is totally killing me.

*******************************

Postscript....I figured out what every one was doing today: screwing around with Facebook. I must have received 5 or 6 facebook friend requests today. Did all my friends sign up this past weekend?

2 comments:

gump said...

So, we face the Rays....and as I watch them go absolutely, friggin nuts over winning the ALCS, I feel a whooooole lot better about our chances. These guys, at least I hope, just blew their load!! Kinda reminds me of the Phils last year when they won the division....and got swept by the Rockies. And another thing....their fans are already on my nerves!!

Jon1BSP said...

I hate cowbells. Let me qualify that - the "more cowbell" SNL skit is classic, but cowbells at sporting events should be banned. I've hated those things since I first heard 'em at a high school football game a bazillion years ago. When I heard the Tampa "fans" using them, I thought "there's no way these idiots should win it all."

And where were these "fans" all season? They turn up when the playoffs roll around? Nice. That fact and the stupid cowbells put them one level below Red Sox Nation in the Annoying Idiot Fans category.

If you guys don't smoke the Rays in the Series, I might not ever speak to you again. Yes, I'm holding all of South Jersey responsible.