Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Best Prediction I've Read From The Best Hockey Writer In The City

I just had to share this prediction (or should I say non prediciton) from Bill Meltzer of Hockeybuzz.com.

Outside of Philadelphia, any series involving the Flyers will generally be cast as the dastardly, dirty Flyers against an opponent who represents all that is good and pure about the game. It's annoying and tiresome, but it will never change. (THIS STATEMENT IS SO TRUE!)

As far as expert predictions go, who cares?

No one truly knows heading into a series what type of personality it will take on, and momentum can change in a hurry. The more you watch hockey, the more you realize that it's impossible to predict.

Any talking head or know-it-all columnist who claims they have a bead on this or any other series should be confronted with their success percentage in making accurate predictions -- even the best of the bunch have "winning percentages" that would get an NHL head coach fired or a goaltender released.

On paper, this is the Habs series to lose. But, as the cliche goes, there's a reason why the games are played on ice and not on paper.
I highly recommend reading Bill's stuff if you are a Flyers fan. You will learn so much about the game and I have learned more about the sport from reading his blog entries on Hockeybuzz.com than I have from years and years of reading the Inquirer and Daily News coverage.

As for my prediction....I see the Canadiens in 6. (Sorry, I have to be a realist here.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Realist? Nope. Greedy? Yes! You know you have money on the Habs.

Anonymous said...

SNAXXX

IF TONY TAKING THE HABES - FLYERS WIN IN 5

THANKS MUSH