Tuesday, April 29, 2008

"We're In His Kitchen"


It doesn't happen very often, but tonight's crowd at the Wachovia Center affected the outcome of tonight's game. For once, the lunatics at one of our local sporting venues was able to rattle a young, talented athlete to the point that he was not able to perform anywhere near his best. I have a feeling that Carey Price will not forget his first playoff game in Philly. The crowd got the 20 year old goal tender so worked up that he let in 3 goals on 12 shots. Yup, that's a stellar .750% save percentage.


In fact, tonight's interview with Scottie Upshall at the end of the 2nd period, was one of my all time favorite mid-game interviews of a Philly athlete. Scottie was asked if he thought the Flyers had rattled Price. Upshall tried to be diplomatic by answering that Price "is very talented", but then slyly admitted "we're in his kitchen right now." I love bravado like that.


On the opposite end of the spectrum is Mar-TAN BEE-ron. All I can say is: where the eff have you been hiding this type of performance? BEE-ron has been unbelievable the last two games. He is the biggest reason this series is not 3-0 Habs.


Ok, that was the good of tonight's playoff victory. Here's the bad: The officiating. I really don't like to complain about the refs, but something fishy is going on in this series. Was Hatcher's selfish hit in the third period a penalty? Sure, it was, but a 5 minute major? No effing way. It almost seemed as if Gary Bettman called the refs between stoppages of play to tell the refs to start putting the Habs on the powerplay to make the game more interesting.


At this point, I'm sick of the officiating in the playoffs. It almost seems as if the NHL has handed down an edict that we are to be kicked out of the playoffs at all costs, but we keep on winning.


I'm not sure if I can take it though. Tonight's game took years off my life. I was really banking on the Flyers cruising through the 3rd period, but of course, they did not make it easy. I actually threw something at the TV after the 2nd Habs goal. I was not fun to be around.


But isn't that the story of this season? I'm guessing there's a lot more left to this roller coaster ride.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The refs only called one real penalty on the Canadiens last night. And it was 3:46 into the game. The other two power plays were for delay of game and too many men. They had to call those. I do believe you are right when you say the NHL does not want this team to win. What do you think they'll do next. I think Biron will be suspended indefinitly by the NHL for playing too good. My God I missed hockey. I hate Versus.

Peacock

George said...

The Hatcher hit was not that much different than a regular check. It just so happened that it drew blood. It should have been a 2 minute minor. Or, if you were going to give him 5, then at least give Montreal a minor for the retaliation crosscheck.

Jon1BSP said...

In his kitchen?? We're not only there, but we're eating all his shit like we've got the munchies and drinkin' all his mother f'ing beer!!

Flyers 4 games to 1!!