Sunday, April 06, 2008

Takin' Care Of Bidness


This weekend the Flyers showed what they were made of. They faced two crucial games and came away with two shutout victories. They came into the weekend seeded 9th on the outside looking in and finished the season ranked 6th facing a team with less points than them. Seriously, what more could you have asked from them?

Friday night's game was possibly the best performance I've seen by a Flyers team against the Devils since Brodeur came on the scene. In case you have forgotten, the Flyers and Devils are rivals in as much as the Hammer and the Nail are rivals. Usually, the Flyers can't help but get pounded no matter what they do. Surprisingly, the Flyers absolutely dominated the Devils and somehow remained completely disciplined while protecting a 1-0 lead before breaking the game open late in the third period. Watching the Sister in Law Banger (aka Martin Brodeur) get pulled was one of the more satisfying sports moments I've experienced in the last year or so.

(As a side note to Friday's game, I totally reverse mooshed the Flyers into victory. I found out my brother was going to the game, which freaked me out since they never win when he's there. Before the game, I thanked him for ensuring a Flyers' loss. My negativity surely spurred the Flyers to victory.)

Today's game against the Pens was a little anti climatic since a playoff spot was already clinched, but it was important nonetheless. A first round matchup against the Pens could have forced me to stop watching the sport. I'm sure Bettman and his henchman would not have allowed the Flyers to win that series. In an effort to give their fair hair boy the easiest road possible to the 2nd round of the playoffs, the disparity in the number of power plays would have been absolutely ridiculous. I'm thankful to not have to put up with the conspiracy that would have ensued.

Today's game also showed that the Pens wanted no part of a first round series with the Flyers. By benching Crosby and looking lethargic most of the game, the Pens showed that they wanted the path of least resistance in the first round. I was kind of surprised with how lifeless they looked.



As for the upcoming first round series with the Caps, I'm not sure how excited to get over this matchup. Sure, I'm happy to see the Caps instead of the Canadiens, but the Caps are certifiably hot right now. It's kind of like last year's Phils/Rockies first round matchups. Everyone around here overlooked how hot the Rockies were because of how the Phils had just stormed back to win the division.



Personally, I love the matchup, but for different reasons then you suspect. Sure, everyone focuses on Alexander Ovechkin (the best player in the league, not that pansy Sidney Crosby), but the Caps are a very tough, physical team. I think this series could be a brawl. While we do not have a singular superstar on par with AO, we do have a deep group of scorers and three lines that can contribute offensively.



I like the Flyers in 6 tough games.

*************************************

Other random thoughts:

1) Congrats to the Sixers. Their turnaround is almost as impressive as the Flyers'. I'm just not sure if it is for the best on a going forward basis. Personally, I'd rather have seen them get one more lottery pick to build with instead of ending up with a first round series against the Pistons.

2.) Another early season series for the Phils. I think I might have mooshed the Phils. I turned on the game in the bottom of the 8th and thought I was somehow dreaming when I saw that Adam Eaton was pitching into the 8th. Sure enough, he gave up a HR a couple batters later and the Phils eventually lost when Chad Durbin channeled his inner Jose Mesa. The start by Eaton was pretty encouraging though. It was nice to see. Hopefully, he can build off it. I didn't see a pitch of today's game, but what's up with the offense. These guys better wake up.

3.) Kansas beats Memphis tomorrow night for the NCAA title. Kansas looked too physical and athletic to me.

4.) As excited as I am for the Flyers and Sixers playoff series, I think I'm more excited for the Masters to start this week.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

a war would be fun to watch. win or lose, they've made strides this year and are in the right direction. i think we'll find out if Biron is our goalie of the future by his play in these playoffs. coming off last year, we're playing w/ house money.

Same goes for the Sixers, no one had them in the playoffs and we've found some young players this year. There's a lot of potential on this squad and they can run a lot of teams off the court. Not sure how that style will work in the playoffs though. Again, we're ahead of the game w/ this squad and are headed in the right direction.

Phils are 3-4. They'll drive us crazy all Summer.

Tiger wins the Masters by 7. There's no one close to him.

George said...

I don't know how hard the Devils or Penguins really tried this weekend. They both seemed to be uninterested and just waiting for the playoffs. Nobody should think the Caps will be an easy opponent. They went from the worst team in the league at the beginning of December to a division winner by April. On the positive side, at least there will be no shootout in the playoffs.