Wednesday, October 04, 2006

EAGLES WRAP UP


As has been my practice lately, I’m a few days late with my review of the Birds latest game. However, since I was at the game, I don’t have a whole lot of substantive analysis on the game other than wide reaching statements. This game reminded me why I would rather watch football in front of the “57” of High Def Fury” sitting in my basement and follow other details on my laptop. Don’t get me wrong, I love being at the game – the atmosphere is phenomenal, but you don’t catch nearly as much as you do when watching on television. I feel cheated in some ways, but I suppose this can be rectified by tuning to NFL Network Game Replays. Maybe then, I can get a better understanding on how this team performed and fill this void in my life.

Since I can’t intelligently speak on a lot of the issues arising from this game (of course I could fake it, relying on reports I read, but I won’t cheat all six of you that will read this), I am just going to break this review into my thoughts on the game AND my “at the stadium” experience, which I’m sure is a hell of a lot more interesting to read two days after the game.

GAME THOUGHTS:

They Really Missed Westbrook: This story was written ad nauseam this week in the Daily News and the Inquirer, but it had to be said. Clearly, B West is the straw that stirs the drink. Without him, this team will struggle. It’s a shame he can’t stay healthy for longer than 3 games at a time. I partially blame his fragile nature on Big Red for failing to properly compliment him with another back the last 3 years. I have a feeling this knee injury will be an on and off story line the rest of the year. Plus, after Buck's two fumbles, I really don't have much confidence in the backups. Although, I do think they are underusing Moats.

The Wide Receivers Have to Be More Sure Handed: What was with all the drops by Reggie and Donte? I’ll give Stallworth a pass because he probably shouldn’t have played this week (Eskin is already reporting that he’s out the next two weeks after re-tweaking his hammy….who didn’t see that coming???), but Reggie has to show more consistency. He has a chance to be a very good receiver in this league, but has to improve his ability to hold onto the damn ball.

Our Offensive and Defensive Lines Did Not Come To Play: No sacks for and 5 sacks against. ‘Nuff said. The big uglies better come to play this Sunday. If they have a similar performance, it could get ugly against the ‘Pokes.



Our DB’s Still Struggling: There were a whole lot of open receivers running through the Birds’ secondary Monday Night. The Pack also definitely left some passing plays on the field. This game could have been more competitive had they fully taken advantage of more of their opportunities. On the bright side, it was nice to see Michael Lewis awaken from the dead and grab a fourth quarter interception.

The Packers Really Stink: Despite all my complaints, the Birds still won by 22 points, which proves that the Pack is pretty bad. I feel bad for Favre coming back. He should have requested a trade or retired.

Taking #5 For Granted: How could I almost forget....That McNabb guy is really good, huh? Despite a few bad passes here and there, he carried this team to victory with his arm AND his legs. He's on a certifiable hot streak right now. If they keep him healthy, I don't see it stopping any time soon.

COMING TOMORROW….Pregame Activies and My “At The Stadium" Experience

1 comment:

Philly Phan said...

Dude...I was loaded and on my way to the car...totally missed it...like I said, I didn't catch a whole lot of the game