Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Wednesday Roundup:


The Flyers nabbed their first win of the year last night against the Blue Shirts, 4-2: What a relief…I was starting to think this team would get off to a long winless streak to start the year. It was nice to see Foppa’s line heat up and get the puck past Lundqvist. Plus, it was great to see Nitty play in back to back games without injury. However, I heard a rumor that he may play tonight against the Habs as well. I’m glad to see Hitch taking it easy on his ailing hips. By the way, it now appears that Brian Leetch will not be shifting his address from Broadway to Broad St. The reports in the Inky and Daily News make it seem as though talks never got past the exploratory stage.

Time to Focus on N’Awlins: Since the Birds went back to work ready to focus on the Saints, so should we. The Dallas game was great, but we need to refocus and get ready for a team which may have a BETTER offense than that of the ‘Boys. Thankfully, the Saints’ defense is not in the same class as Dallas, so we could see a track meet down in the Bayou on Sunday. I’m just hoping that the inevitable all around ,bust out game for Reggie Bush is delayed for another week. I’m sure we’ll see much more on last year’s Heisman Trophy winner through out the week, including my spot on comparison of him to B West.

St. Joe’s announces plans for a new Fieldhouse: Since I bore you guys with tales of the Rutgers football program and in honor of my St. Joe’s alum buddies, George, Voegs - my other at work wife, Nick, and Vinny, who I still don’t think has checked out my site, I had to mention that St. Joe’s announced plans to upgrade the Fieldhouse. I don’t know how they feel about the news, but it sounds great to me. It was simply not fair that an A-10 power like the Hawks played in a gym smaller than the one at Cherry Hill East. There was no word on whether they also plan to upgrade their talent level to start regularly beating ‘Nova again.

Ryan Howard named Player of the Year by the Sporting News: Good for Ryan. Let’s hope this is a precursor for the official NL MVP announcement, which is right around the corner.

Cory Lidle piloted the plane which crashed into a NY high rise: Wow….that’s all I can say. What a tragedy. This brings back memories of the fatal small plane crash which took the life of the former Nebraska QB Brook Berringer. This is more evidence for why I will never get in one of those small planes.

2 comments:

George said...

As you may have imagined, I like the Fieldhouse the way it is now. The renovations may, however, help to get better recruits.

Philly Phan said...

I figured that was the case, but come on...the Fieldhouse is no place for a team like St Joes to be playing...RU Camden has a better gym. The Hawks deserve something bigger and better