Tuesday, October 10, 2006

The Karma Train Stops For Me


Early in life, I remember my father explaining to me “Son, many times in life, you got to do, what you don’t want to do to get ahead.” As I got older I started to understand what he meant, but it seemed that I never got the payoff I expected for attending painfully boring social events for family/friends/or significant others. However, earlier today, I finally received a payoff for doing something I had to be prodded and cajoled into doing.

As you are all aware, I gave up most of my weekend to attend (in order) a wedding rehearsal, rehearsal dinner, post-rehearsal dinner party, wedding, and finally the reception which started at 6 and caused me to miss the entire second half of the best Eagles’ game played in 20 years. As I also stated, I have neither a close bond with the bride or groom and was only there because my wife threatened to divorce me and take half my stuff if I didn’t go. Anyhow, much to my consternation, she convinced me to put on a good face (for about 75% of the time) and attend each of the above activities. I can honestly say that while sitting there at these various events this weekend, I wondered when the hell am I going to be paid back for doing this crap?

Well, I got my answer this morning….unbeknownst to me, I won the office football pool via a tie breaker this week! Thank you, Steve McNair and all your interceptions! Add the $150 I won to the Eagles victory over the Cowboys and this is a pretty decent score for the last couple days.

Did I learn a valuable lesson? Yes, if you do what you don’t want to do, karma will pay you back in spades. Did I learn enough that next time I won’t bitch when the wife wants me to do something ridiculous? Hell no. Will I attend, but bitch the entire time? You betcha!

I don’t know about you guys, but I think I could base a whole episode of My Name Is Earl off my experiences the past couple days. I just don’t want Earl’s fat brother playing my role.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would be hesitant to call this karma instead of what it really is . . . coincidence. Did your agreeing to go to the events actually cause you to make the picks you made in the pool? Did going to a boring ass wedding cause Lito to pick the ball off? Karma is defined as . . . "the total effect of a person's actions and conduct during the successive phases of the person's existence, regarded as determining the person's destiny." Your destiny was to attend a crappy wedding, not to enjoy $150 or an eagles victory for attending that crappy wedding. There's a difference. But if it makes you feel better, then yes young man, the only reason you won the office pool and the only reason the eagles won on sun was because of the good karma gained when you let your wife (who by the way is a wonderful person) drag your butt to a wedding you really didn't want to attend. Whatever lets you sleep at night. By the way, in case you haven't cluded in . . I will probably never let you live this down. I understand, but still, I will probably never let you live this down. Sorry, its a Man Law.

Philly Phan said...

Agreed...Man Law....BTW, Nice contributions out of you lately

Anonymous said...

congratulations!.....now you can buy a set of balls.....

Philly Phan said...

Wow...you guys have really brought your A game lately. Funny one, Gold

Anonymous said...

Thanks Patrick. I appreciate the nice words. BTW, all of your wives would have made you guys go to the wedding also. We are all a bunch of tough guys on a sports blog (which none of your wives read). Maybe your wives would like to way in on this issue. Yes, I understand that poor Tony missed the second half of the Eagles game, but you gotta do what, what The Wife says.

Anonymous said...

Dear "the wife":

I fully admit that if my wife was maid of honor, I too would have had to attend a wedding I could have cared less about. There's no getting around that fact. Marriage is all about compromise. However, the funniest part of the entire episode is that these sorts of things ONLY happen to your husband. Thus, for him to suggest that Karma played a role in his winning $150 (which I assume was spent by you anyway - as it should be) and the Eagles victory is so hilarious. Also, please don't forget to include the $150 as income on your taxes.

George said...

Phan, I missed Talladega qualifying during your wedding.

Philly Phan said...

Qualifying? Come on, bro...Jen makes you miss qualifying to go to Target

Anonymous said...

I haven't gotten the $150 yet Pat, but it is only a matter of time.

Seriously George, you missed one race for our wedding. You get to watch cars making left turns for about 10 months of the year. My next wedding, I will try to schedule accordingly. (Just kidding, babe)