Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Good Bye and Good Luck, Axe Man


Today, the Birds waived good bye to a true warrior and the majority of the phans and his teammates are in an uproar. Things really don't change a whole lot over at the Nova Care Complex, huh?

After seven years with the Birds, Jeremiah Trotter truly became a fan favorite and the best middle linebacker I've ever seen play in green. I'll always remember his passion and sheer physicality. He was a prototypical middle linebacker. When you looked up a middle linebacker in your NFL handbook, you had a picture of Trot starting back at you. At 6'1", 260 he had the size to take on guards and centers, but during his prime he also had the speed to chase down plays. There was nothing better than seeing Trot blow up running plays in the backfield when JJ sent him flying in through the "A gap" to create havoc.

All this being said, I can't say that Trot's departure caught me 100% by surprise. At the end of last year, you could hear the whispers from Eagles' insiders in the media that Trot could be replaced and that he would have to be better if he wanted to make the team. Then, the Birds unsuccessfully pursued free agent middle linebacker Ryan Fowler during the offseason. These were all clues that the Axe Man could be axed. Plus, we all know how the Birds have no problem cutting bait with players over 30.

Although some have questioned the Birds' frugality as reasoning for the move, I truly don't believe this had anything to do with Trot's salary. The Birds just think the guy is shot. For a middle linebacker over the age of 30 with two bad knees, is this such a surprise? I even think Trot was expecting such a move. Look at his comments today:


"I just told them it was a privilege to play here," said a choked-up Trotter during a news conference, three hours after the Eagles announced his release. "Everyone gets to this point in their career at some point or another. Now it's my time. I'm just thankful that I spent this many years here in Philadelphia. I truly believe that if you were to cut me I'd bleed green. Even when I went away for those two years (in Washington) I was always an Eagle at heart, and I will always remain an Eagle."
These statements sound like ones that have been percolating in the back of his mind for some time. I give Trot and the Birds credit. They handled this situation with class.

As for my opinion on the move, I'm not getting too worked up about it. I think Trot's legs must be shot. Watching the last two preseason games, it sure seemed that Jeremiah was having a hard time patrolling the field form sideline to sideline. Stretch running plays (like the one the Colts killed us with last year) haven't been stopped since late last year. Even during the preseason these plays were getting big yards.

Additionally, it's time I've come clean on something. After getting worked up over various personnel moves over the years and then getting proved wrong by Big Red and Co., I've decided to give these guys carte blanche on all their roster decisions. There is a reason Big Red and Tom Heckert are doing their jobs and I'm sitting here in my underwear at 11:30 on a Tuesday night writing a blog. They know what they're doing and who the eff am I to question them? Plus, I can only think of one time when they've cut a guy who they were wrong about (Derrick Burgess). The players over 30 who've proven to have life remaining is a big fat goose egg. Chances are that Trot is done and won't be a contributing member of the NFL any longer. Based on the Birds' track record, I'm fine with this move.

I just wish I had as much confidence in Omar Gaither as Big Red and his cronies do.

In any event, I think I speak for all Eagles phans in thanking Trot for his time with the Birds and wishing him the very best in whatever he decides to do in the future.

4 comments:

Jon1BSP said...

You know what I wish? I wish I had those 5 seconds back where I read you were sitting there in your underwear.

Yikes.

sbotts said...

Good one jon1bsp. At least 54 will still have Trots Spots, give him a month and he'll be on 610 with Gargano and Martarano and getting parking tickets in Glassboro...

Anonymous said...

Class act and great warrior. RIP Axe Man

Anonymous said...

I wish the GIANTS would pick him up - oh yeah, we're still missing Strah-fag, Tiki and Eli are still fighting, and our coaching stuff blows donkey dick.

Thank God for the 2007 RWC - GO ALL BLACKS!