Thursday, August 30, 2007

Rutgers Football 2007 Season Preview


Everyone has their own passion project. You know what I’m talking about…something you care more about more than just about anyone in the World.

Andy Reid had Reno Mahe. Larry Brown had Derrick Coleman. Pat Gillick has Rod Barajas and Wes Helms. My buddy Mister Nascar has the mediocre Nascar Driver, Robby Gordon. My main man Johnny Gold has his mid 80’s re-runs of Miami Vice. Kevin Costner had Waterworld and now Vinny Chase has Medellin.

I have Rutgers Football.

Sure, it’s fashionable to be a Rutgers fan nowadays, but as anyone who knows me will tell you…I’m no Johnny Come Lately to this squad. I have been a fan of this football program since attending this fine institution in the early 90’s. I’ve been to countless games and suffered through a lot of losing. Therefore, I don't think last year's season will ever be topped. It was pretty much a dream season. All I'd ask for is the ability to change two plays from the triple OT, West Virginia loss and RU would have been in the Orange Bowl....yes, the f'n ORANGE BOWL! Sorry, I still can't believe nowadays we're talking about RU in the same sentence as Penn St., Michigan, Virginia Tech, Alabama, etc.

This year sure seems to be shaping up well. RU returns 6 starters on defense and 7 on offense, including Heisman candidate Ray Rice. Plus, RU has 8 home games and only 1 seemingly tough road game (L'Ville in late November.) I expect the defense to have a slow start as the newcomers get acclimated (the Navy game next week scares me). However, they have enough returning starters that they should be kicking butt by the end of the year. Offensively, I expect the Knights to be much better despite losing Brian Leonard. The offense should be much more diverse as the receivers should be ready to step up and give Mike Teel consistent targets. In fact, I truly believe Wide Receiver Kenny Britt will be a star by the end of the year.
In any event, this team could finish anywhere from 1st in the conference to 4th. I suppose 2nd or 3rd is most likely. However, I have two goals for this year:

(1) make sure that Rutgers has a successful enough year so that no one says last year is a fluke and recruiting can continue to progress. I figure 9 wins would definitely solidify RU as a national player; and

(2) quite simply...BEAT WEST VIRGINIA! I've had enough of losing to these inbred red necks. It's time to finally give them some payback.

Here's a video to get you ready for the season.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm with you Daddio....Go RU!

Anonymous said...

Don't forget Underwood. He was pretty friggin awesome in Week 1.