Monday, August 06, 2007

Random Thoughts


First of all, I would like to thanks all of you for the well wishes on the birth of my daughter. Things are great so far. We are all adjusting to her being home. I return to work tomorrow and hope to get back on a normal schedule. How fatherhood affects my blogging remains to be seen, but it's not like I'm the first guy in the history of man kind to become a father. So, I'll go out on a limb and guess that everything with my blog, etc will work out. Plus, since football season is coming, it is pretty easy to find material to write about.


-Phils come back to earth out in the Midwest: While the lack of big hits in games against the Cubs and Brewers certainly didn't help, the return of our old friend, the brutal bullpen, doomed the Phils as they finished their 7 game road trip against the best of the NL Central one game under .500. Some things never change. The talent level ain't changing anytime soon in the 'pen, so we're sure to see more games like Saturday night's. Poor Cole Hamels. The guy could be looking at Cy Young level season if the bullpen didn't blow at least 3 wins for him.

The best thing about Sunday's come back was that I had no idea that the Phils rallied from 5 down in the 9th to tie the game. I only saw the highlights on Sports Final. I'm glad I missed it. I'm sure I would have been incredibly frustrated.

By the way, my brother in law went out to Wrigley and then Milwaukee to catch some of the Phils' road trip. He even told me that he ran into Rowand, Durbin and Lohse out at some Milwaukee bar. He said he was going to talk to them, but I never heard if he did. I'll fill you guys in if he did actually talk to those guys. I told him to ask Rowand about the "Beer Pong Champion" wrist band that he wears.

-Birds training camp continues: The best thing about this camp is that it has been quiet. As far as I'm concerned, no news is good news. However, I did catch a highlight of McNabb connecting with Kevin Curtis on a bomb over Sheldon Brown. That was nice to see.


-Rutgers opens the season at #16; Penn State is #18: I'm pretty satisfied with this ranking for RU. I think it is fair. To say I'm a bit worried with how this team will react to being the hunted instead of the hunter would be an understatement. I think that is the key to their entire season. If their heads did not get over inflated from all the good press this offseason, then they are on their way to at least a 2 loss season. I think Penn State's ranking is pretty justified also. I've heard a lot of people say that they could surprise in the Big 10. The best part of the opening rankings is that those frauds from South Bend, IN are unranked. Life is good.



-300: Caught the movie 300 this weekend. Pretty decent flick. The visuals were awesome and from I understand, the plot line is pretty close to being realistic. I give this movie the "serious high five". (Bonus points to anyone other than Muller that knows that movie reference.) Something tells me that 300 will be the new movie that every high school football team watches before a big game to pump themselves up.

-Michael Irvin cries like a little beeeeyotch at his Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony: Rumor has it that he was told prior to his speech that all drug dealers in the Greater Canton, Ohio Metropolitan area were tapped out of both weed and coke.

3 comments:

Jon1BSP said...

"Hope to get back on a normal schedule." That's probably the funniest thing you ever said!

And it was Hollywood Shuffle!

Muller

Anonymous said...

Irvins career numbers don't make him a hall of famer. 3 rings certainly helped his cause. He was an avg. WR on a stacked team.

George said...

It's about time there was a post here. The wife should have all that baby stuff under control so that you can post for your dedicated readers.