Monday, August 27, 2007

Interesting Eagles' Point of View From Peter King


As I've detailed in the past, I never miss Peter King's MMQB column on SI.com. It is always chock full of information and never disappoints. Here are a couple interesting Eagles' tidbits from Peter's column today:


4. I think I'm not sure I buy Donovan McNabb's outrage over the waiving of Jeremiah Trotter. It seems a little convenient to me. For starters, McNabb has never been close to Trotter, who aligned himself with Terrell Owens during Owens' ill-fated tenure with Philadelphia. But more important, McNabb has always been viewed by some corners of the locker room as too much of a company man, so by publicly questioning Trotter's release, McNabb can say to his locker room: I'm beholden to no one here, and I call 'em as I see 'em.

In the end, Trotter had lost some speed, and the Eagles, who have been borderline ruthless with some personnel decisions in the Andy Reid Era, decided it was better to give Trotter a chance to find a job out there before the final cutdown -- because the team knew he wasn't a part of its future. From his Trotter outburst, McNabb also seems to be saying to Reid: I'm not going to be your blindly loyal guy anymore.

I don't care how many niceties come out of the mouths of either McNabb or Reid. Their relationship was affected by the drafting of Kevin Kolb in the second round on draft day. McNabb sent a message that he didn't appreciate that, and I think you'll see him become more distant from Reid as time goes by.

5. I think these were the most impressive players I saw over the weekend:

f. Eagles defensive tackle Brodrick Bunkley, who was a waste of a roster spot last year in Philly, after being a mid-first-round pick. Now he's playing like the interior space-eater he was drafted to be. Embarrassed by his poor play and his weight last year, Bunkley reported in shape this year and is playing like a house possessed.

i. Nice goal-line stuff by the Philly linebackers in Pittsburgh early on. Takeo Spikes has taken on a nice leadership role and an even better hole-filling role on the D.
I can't agree more with his point that the Reid/McNabb relationship if forever changed and it ain't ever going to be the same. I think they can work together, but it is never going to be the same. I thought Bunkley looked good last night, but a "house possessed"? He might be going overboard a bit.

It is also interesting to me was that it took the drafting of his eventual replacement before McNabb dropped the company man persona. If McNabb had spoken out like this previously, I wonder if the T.O. thing could have been different or would the Birds have sought out other bigger name players. In any event, it appears McNabb is feeling his own mortality and has decided to let his displeasure be known. Unfortunately, it does not seem that D Mac has the sway in the organization that he used to have.

2 comments:

st. joe's nick said...

Great Post, T.

The McNabb/Reid relationship is changed forever, now that Kolb has been drafted. Peter states it perfectly in his piece.

Also, is anybody shedding a tear now that Kelly Holcomb has been traded to the Vikes? Didn't think so.

Anonymous said...

Just b/c a player started for us does not means he fits elsewhere. Can you say, David Bell, Hieberthal, Duce, Corey, Bobby Taylor.

Axe Man has received only 2 offers from 32 teams and both were to backup. Unfortunately, he must have lost a step or two.

I guess Andy didn't feel like he could rotate him in the middle this year w/ Omar. Trotter was too proud for a backup role here and it looks like he may choose to sit out versus taking a situational role elsewhere.

Peter King is stirring the pot as usual. I don't think #5 is a company man any longer, not when his supposed replacement was drafted at #33.