Sunday, August 12, 2007

Now, Are You Starting To Believe?


Well, do you? Do you believe in this team?
This weekend's series against the Braves reminds me of that moment in the Matrix (I'm pretending the two sequels never happened) when Morpheus turns to Neo, after he rescues Trinity from a helicopter on its way to a crash landing, and says "Now, are you starting to believe?" Taking 2 out of 3 from the Braves certainly has the potential to convert a lot of non believers.

After the game, I received a message from my brother in law, an eternally optimistic Phils' phan, letting me know that he has the Phils in the postseason. I totally expected this message since he loves every guy on the team. He'll tell you J.D. Durbin could be a 15 game winner if given the chance. However, the more surprising message I received after the game came from my boy, Johnny Gold. He told me his totally believes in this team's post season chances. This message absolutely blew me away. Johnny usually doesn't give his heart over to the Phils so easily, but something about these gutty, gritty Phils has softened his stance.

As for me, I'm cautiously optimistic about the Phils' chances of making the posteason. I look at the schedule and it appears that the Phils could do some damage over the next 10 games. I also love how scrappy this group of Phils are and how they keep fighting. Friday's night's game was a perfect example as they did not get rattled when their ace was shelled in the first inning, but the team battled right back and tied the game in the bottom of the inning. I also really like how effective Myers is every other appearance. Most importantly, since it doesn't seem that the Mets are going to run away with the NL East, nor is anyone else totally dominating the Wild Card chase, the Phils should stay in both races. However.....

I still see Cholly make moves which range from head scratching to downright ridiculous. (As we witnessed tonight, his third base coach is just as bad.) We also have Adam Eaton getting shellacked every fifth day. Victorino, Bourne and Utley all appear to be out for at least another week. Don't forget that Myers looks like shit every other appearance also. How can this team stay in the race with these issues?

At the moment, I'm still undecided on this issue, but the Braves series sure makes me feel better about this squad's ability to knuckle up in big games.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is the time of year where most of really, really start to get our hopes up and make ourselves believe that this is the year we get back into the playoffs only to have them torn to shreds when some lowly NL East team walks into Philly with the hammer and nails (e.g. Marlins). So to answer your question: yes I'm a believer.

TF

Anonymous said...

I hate the 3rd base coach, but i cannot fault him last evening. first of all, the Burrell put out, he was running w/ the pitch as it was a 3-2 2 out count, how the hell he can't make it home w/ a running start is beyond me.

additionally, on the Werth put out the RF has to go way towards the line and in to get the ball. how slow is Werth that he can't score on a ball like that. Off the bat i had them both scoring easily so i can't fault the 3rd base coach on this occasion.

Anonymous said...

Newsflash:

The first baseman is playing off of the runner at first Pat Burrell. That is a mistake because Pat the Bat has.....................................................................................................................................................wait for it.......................................................................................................................................................................................speed!!!!

Sorry Joe Morgan. I think its time for a new profession. I think you've been spending too much time with Sarge.

Peacock

Anonymous said...

Another never say die win tonite, Banyan hits a dong and the pen was perfect. This team has no quit in them, really reminds me of the '93 squad but were much younger w/ a stars.