Tuesday, January 01, 2008

2007 - Year In Review


Like the rest of you that had off during Christmas week, I'm sitting here at home bowled over by a day's worth of college football and dreading the fact that I have to get up tomorrow and go to work for the first time in 12 days. On the bright side, I guess I can get back to my normal routine. On the down side, I had to shave off the "playoff beard" that I was growing. (For anyone that may care, I shaved it off on Monday as it looked ridiculous and I also had a funeral to go to that day for a member of my wife's extended family.)

While we are sitting here on first day of 2008 hoping for better things from our sports teams in the upcoming year, I decided to reflect on some of the high and lows of 2007 of our Philly teams. So here we go:

Best moment of 2007: (This is absolutely undisputed.) The Phils win the NL East title. After years and years of coming up short, it was unreal to finally see the Phils get over the hump and make the postseason. I really could care less that they were promptly swept by the Rockies. It was just nice to see them finally get there. If you think this is a loser's mentality, fine. I can see your point, but that's what our local baseball franchise has reduced me to.

Making the division title even better was watching the Mets (and their fan base) completely melt down. Next to Cowboy fans, it couldn't happen to a more annoying group of fans.

Worst Moment of 2007: While there were so many to choose from, I think the low point of the past year was when our Birds were eliminated from the playoffs with two games to go. We've pretty much been spoiled in this town as the Birds have made the playoffs 6 out of 7 years prior to this season, but it was still pretty sad to have two glorified exhibition games at the end of the year. The real sad part was this team was definitely playoff caliber. If they made two or three more plays at the right time, they would have beaten the Bears, Packers or Seahawks and finished in the playoffs. On the bright side, the playoffs seem pretty interesting this year even with our Birds on the sidelines.

Best Athlete of 2007: With all apologies to B West, J Roll was the best athlete in this town as he won the NL MVP award and was an emotional lightning rod for a team that needed someone that had the chutzpah to carry it to a post season berth.


Worst Athlete of 2007: Adam Eaton proved that is possible to actually be worse than your stats (10-10 with a 6.29 ERA) indicate. To make things even better, it's quite possible that Eaton will be back in the starting rotation again in '08.


Most Superfluous: The Sixers. At this point, does anyone care at all?

Best Job By A Front Office: Paul Holmgren and the Flyers' offseason overhaul of the Flyers. Even though they are currently hovering around in the middle of the pack, it is still amazing to me how Paul Holmgren made over a last place team to one that will definitely contend for a playoff spot.


Young Athletes Making The Leap in '07: Mike Richards, Broderick Bunkley, Andre Iguodala, and Cole Hamels.


Older Athletes Who Have Hit The Wall: B Dawk (it really hurts to say that), Tom Gordon (ok, he wasn't that bad down the stretch), and Peter Forsberg (Does anyone miss the daily story about whether he has a skate that fits properly? Didn't think so.)


Most Disappointing Team: Here's where I get personal....The Rutgers Scarlet Knights did not have 7-5 talent this year. They had the returning talent and favorable schedule to have been at least 9-3, if not 11-2. This was a tremendously disappointing coaching job by Greg Schiano (frankly, I was more shocked to hear that Michigan wanted him, then when he turned them down.) RU lost 2 games when they had the ball with two minutes left and down by less than a touchdown. They lost another after squandering an 18 point third quarter lead and lost another despite outgaining their opponent 511 yards to 396. They were only outclassed by West Virginia. Turnovers, penalties, poor special teams play, and a general lack of leadership killed this team. Schiano should be ashamed that he squandered away a golden opportunity.

Thanks again to anyone who reads this blog. I truly have a great time writing it. I wish you all a great 2008. Happy New Year!

8 comments:

George said...

I would recommend that the NHL bring back the New Year's Day winter game every year. Thank God something broke up the ridiculous gluttony of college football bowl games. It was refreshing.

Jon1BSP said...

Watching them play that game in the snow was awesome.

Crosby looks like he might be a player, huh? With that tipping-the-puck-to-himself-in-midair thing.

Anonymous said...

How great would it be to see the Flyers play the Devils at the Linc. They should do this again and again. I loved it was like watching Mystery Alaska...

Anonymous said...

Snaxxx

Didn't you have a kid this year >???? You better not let jk see this posting

Anonymous said...

New Year, new nfl draft, new baseball season (see where I'm going with this?) Positive thinking this year PSP.

Farrell

Anonymous said...

PSP, you been hitting the egg nog a bit heavy? How are the Flygirls "middle of the pack". In their conference I have them 4th from last in the Win column. I know they're only a couple pts out of first, but they have to jump about 17 teams to get there.

I can't wait for the city to get a soccer team to finally move hockey from 7th to 8th most intriguing sport.

Philly Phan said...

Come on Big Daddy...right now they are 7th in the East which is pretty much "middle of the pack". Plus, they have the much desired "games in hand".

To everyone else, I'm shocked you liked the Winter Classic so much since none of you ever coment on my hockey posts except to say how bad the NHL sucks. Maybe I'll post my thoughts on the game.

Donny, yes...my personal highlight was the birth of my daughter.

Anonymous said...

I was going to have to rip you a new one babe, until I saw your save at the end. Yes, the highlight of our year was definitely the arrival of Juliana. She is definitely becoming daddy's little girl and will shortly have him wrapped around her little 5 month old finger. Happy Holidays and Happy New Year!