Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Wednesday Notebook


Initially, I want to thank everyone for their well wishes as to my mom's condition. They were most appreciated. She is out of the hospital and hopefully should be fine as long as she follows the doctor's orders.

After reading some of the comments today, I realized that there are some topics I need to comment upon. So, on lazy Wednesday night, here is a notebook full of my thoughts on various topics making news recently....

-The NHL's Winter Classic - You guys really shocked me today. No one makes a peep about my Flyers' posts, but yet you are all fired up by a poorly played game involving two out of market teams (Buffalo and Pittsburgh) that was a contrived marketing event created by Gary Bettman to show off his love child, Sidney Crosby. I thought the game was really cool to watch with the snow, large crowd, etc., but it was a poor display of hockey by two pretty skilled teams. For various valid reasons, the playing surface was a mess and all the stoppages of play got a bit annoying, but I suppose it was for the greater good.

There were other things that made me feel as the game was scripted. First, it seemed that Bettman ordered that there were to be no fights under any circumstances. From the parts of the game that I watched, I don't think I saw heavyweight brawlers, Georges Laraque of the Pens or Andrew Peters of the Sabres, on the ice at the same time. If that was the case, you might ask why did either team dress their heavyweights? Well, in the case of Laraque, an African Canadian, I'm sure Bettman wanted him in the game in a cheap attempt to appeal to a larger fan base.

To top things off, the game had to be settled in the ridiculous shootout, which was eventually won by Bettman's fair haired boy, Sidney Crosby. God, Bettman and Crosby annoy me.

Despite all this, I enjoyed the game as it was a nice diversion to all the college football played on Tuesday and wouldn't mind this game being a yearly event.

-Bowl Season - Is it me or are you guys also completely bored by this year's bowl season? I guess the regular season was so good with the various upsets that there wasn't much left magic left this season. Has there been a signature game? The only game that got me the least bit interested was the Michigan/Florida game yesterday. (I'm not sure if my boy, Johnny Gold, has recovered from watching his man crush, Tim Tebow, go down in defeat. I might need to check in on him tomorrow.)
The Wisconsin/Tennessee game was mildly interesting, as was the Kentucky/Fla St game to see how the Seminoles would field a team with half their guys suspended for cheating in an internet class. Right now, I'm watching the Fiesta Bowl and it ain't much better. The 'Eers are surprisingly rolling against Oklahoma. I'm dying for an instant classic like last year's Boise St/Oklahoma game or the Texas/USC Championship game from two years ago. I have a feeling that the Boomer Sooners have some 4th quarter magic in them.

After watching two loss teams such as Georgia and USC dominate yesterday, it is clear that this sport is begging for a playoff. If someone can figure out a way to achieve one and keep the Bowl people happy, I'll nominate him for the Nobel Peace Prize.

By the way NJ residents, your State University takes on Ball State in the International Bowl in lovely Toronto at noon this Saturday on ESPN2. (No folks, I'm not kidding. I'm being totally serious. RU is playing a bowl game in Canada. Most schools play bowl games in warm weather spots. At RU, we play bowl games in another country.)

-Wild Card Weekend - Yes, it sucks that our Birds are sitting home, but I'm mildly interested by this weekend's slate of games.

Tennessee at San Diego - I'm putting the over/under for passes completed in this game at 20. I really expect San Diego to run away with this one.

Jacksonville at Pittsburgh - The Jags laid the wood to the Stillers in their house just a couple weeks ago. Is there any reason to believe things will change this time around?

G Men at Tampa Bay - I love Jeff Garcia, but he's been in and out of the lineup for the last month of the season. I hate the Giants and have no faith whatsoever, but really think they'll pull this one out. Of course, I would never put money on either side in this one.

Skins at Seahawks - I think the Seahawks are softer than my midsection, but I don't think the Skins with the immortal Todd Collins at the helm can beat them up at their place.

-Eagles' Tidbits - I read today that the Birds will have the 19th pick in the draft. Now, I'm not so sure that I'm happy with the three game win streak.

I also came across the following quote in Rich Hoffman's column in today's Daily News that gave me a chuckle today:

For years, the Eagles have concentrated their attention, money and draft picks on [improving the pass rush], but they still aren't done. They have spent a quarter-billion dollars in the last few years on their defensive line and still don't get nearly enough pressure on opposing quarterbacks. They have spent and they have used high draft picks, and it still isn't happening.
As funny as I find the comment about the Birds spending a quarter-billion dollars on defensive lineman, it sure is saddening that despite putting so much emphasis on a position, the Birds keep getting it wrong.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The DE and DT position has received a lot of attention the last few years with some misses. From McDougle, Kearse, Howard, Burgess. To the DT Simon, Renfro (that may be going back a few yrs) Hollis.

But, we have made some progress recently. Patterson and Bunkley look to be starters for the next 5 years. Cole is an above avg. DE. JT is a 3rd guy in a rotation. We need another DE to help Trent. I think you'll see Gocong w/ his hand in the dirt on 3rd downs in 2008. Could also see Howard returning in 2008 b/c his dollars aren't crazy. Its a shame about Kearse, he obviously wasn't the same guy when he got here.

George said...

I thought I was big on conspiracies. I think you are a little over the top, PSP. I hate Crosby mostly because he is a whiner and is so overrated and hyped by the league, but I just enjoyed the game because it seemed pure. The level of play wasn't as bad as you are making it out to be. I think there were no fights because it was too cold. I doubt Bettman had anything to do with it.

Anonymous said...

I was not impressed by the hockey game outdoors. Who cares? Why is this a big deal? And if it was such a big deal....why was the ice crap? Everytime I walked in the room and you were watching the game, there was a stoppage of play. How boring?!

George said...

A woman wouldn't understand.