Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Someone To Get Excited About


Now, that is the face of a hockey player. It is also the face of my new favorite Flyer.

Sure, the guy skates two steps slower than just about everyone on the ice and he takes more horrendous penalties than former Eagles Bernard Williams, Antone Davis, and Izell Jenkins combined, but I love Downie for one thing above all: his unpredictability. We haven't had an unpredictable athlete in this town since T.O.

As I told my buddy George today, the best thing about Downie right now is that every time he sets foot on the ice, there is the potential for a major catastrophe to occur. He might score a goal. He might incite a riot. Geez, at this point, I wouldn't be shocked if he took of his skate and tried to stab someone. He seems to be that crazy.

He's already been suspended 20 games for delivering a flying burrito to the head of Ottawa's Dean McAmmond and was almost suspended this week for sucker punching Toronto's Jason Blake. Downie was told by the NHL's Czar of Discipline that he was "walking a fine line". Seriously, who doesn't love people that live on the edge?

Tonight, he scored his 2nd NHL goal in the Flyers' 4-1 win, but unfortunately did not get into any scrums despite the best efforts of Bobby Holik, etc.

I just hope no one tries to reign this kid in as I just want to sit back and enjoy watching this nutjob play on a nightly basis.

*************************************

Thoughts on tonight's game:

-Why the hell does Atlanta have a NHL franchise? Is there any franchise more useless in America? We have a hockey team in Atlanta and Nashville, but none in Wisconsin and only six in Canada. Gary Bettman is absolutely idiotic.

-The more I watch Scott Hartnell, I like his all around game. He might not score a ton of goals for this team, but he is a very good player.

-Jeff Carter has the best wrist shot this team has seen since Eric Lindros. It is downright nasty.

-Someone better put an APB out on Danny Briere. Where the hell has he been? Mr. Money Bags better step up quick. Hopefully, the supposed return of Gagne on Thursday will pick him up a little bit.

-Nitty looked good again tonight. I don't think we have a goalie controversy, but I'll sure be surprised if he gets a third straight start against the Rangers on Thursday.
-I love when Bill Clement does the color on the broadcast. I find him the best color man this team has had since...Bill Clement back in the 80's!
-CN8's broadcast has the AV quality of a local cable access channel run out of some guy's basement. What a joke! We deserve better as Flyers phans.

-Overall, this a very good defensive perfomance by the Orange & Black. We need to see a lot more of efforts like this if the Flyers are going to go anywhere this year.

2 comments:

Jon1BSP said...

I missed Clement again?? Dammit! He is a great color guy.

Take his skate off and stab somebody...that's awesome.

George said...

I cannot figure out why Vs. fired Clement. For years he and Gary Thorne were the best national tandem. Clement is a good professional and always makes nice points. I don't see what is so great about this stiff they now have in the studio next to Jones and Engblom. Engblom also does nothing for me. It is a travesty that Clement isn't working somewhere, preferably on a national stage.