Sunday, January 06, 2008

Playoff Wrap Up

Yeah, I realize this has nothing to do with Philly sports, but if I don't include something about football, I might lose my one and only loyal commenter. (BTW, what happened to the rest of my commenters? The hit counter shows that people are reading this.)

'Skins vs. Seahawks - This game was a total snoozefest until both teams exploded for a combined 36 points in the 4th quarter. Both teams went on wild runs in the 4th quarter with the momentum swinging back and forth. For me, the sequence in the game was the Skins inability to score after recovering a muffed kick on Seattle's 12. Had they scored a TD, I'm pretty certain the Skins win the game. However, they couldn't punch it in and missed the subsequent gimme field goal. Seattle went right down the field, scored a TD to take the lead and it was turn off the lights, the party's over.

I did not leave this game gaining any confidence in the Seahawks. I really doubt they can head into the Tundra and win one against the Pack.

Jags vs. Stillers - This was a tale of two separate games. For three quarters, the Jags whupped the Stillers' collective asses. "Ben", as the Sports Guy calls him, looked terrible, throwing pick after pick. Mike Tomlin looked over matched in his first playoff game. Then, out of no where, the Stillers came back to take the lead only to give it back in an unconventional last minute drive to set up a chip shot field goal.

I really don't understand how the Jags could look like world beaters for so long and then let Pittsburgh back in the game. It was disconcerting to me. I thought they would give the Pats a real challenge, but that 4th quarter changed my mind. I'm not sure they have the chops to potentially take down the Pats.

G Men vs. Bucs - This game should have been renamed Fraud vs. Fraud....wait a second, you could have called all the games but Pitt/Jax the same. I was actually impressed by the G Men's defense. I think they might have the best chance of pulling the upset next week if Dallas continues to look like a team that peaked a month ago.

Titans vs. Chargers - Ok, I was half kidding when I set the over under for passes completed in this game at 20, but Vince Young and Phil Rivers were pretty brutal until Rivers finally put things together in the 4th quarter. In any event, the Chargers didn't do anything to make me think that they can go into Indy next week and slow them down.

So, there you have it. A pretty underwhelming weekend of football except for about a five minute span of the Skins/Hawks game and the 4th quarter of the Pitt/Jax game. Unfortunately, my early read on next week's games is that we won't have much else to get excited about except for the Dallas/G Men game.

If anything, this weekend showed that it really does suck without the Birds in the playoffs.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i thought all the games were competitive which is a plus. i see a couple frauds. SD, Seattle. And a hot team that sucks, (G-Men) and a real team that has to play the greatest team in the history of the NFL.

I'd be willing to say the Jags beat every other playoff team in the NFL except the Pats. They would certainly squash every NFC team. Gotta figure 1 road team gets it done this week. Question is, which one.

I hope like all of you its Dallas.