Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Here And There

Jeez, a guy steps away from his blog for a few days and shit really blows up, huh? Well, let's get right to the action.....

Phils Keep Up Their Maddening Ways - The Phils are back to being Team Cybil. After the absolute high of Thursday's remarkable 11-10 win over the Mets, the Phils won their first game at Florida and gave all a false sense of security that they would not revert into their normal routine of following up good spells with bad ones. However, the Phils did not fail to feed their own fatalistic tendencies as they then lost their next three before last night's victory. This team is dead people. Face it. You'll feel much better and experience much less stress. This team just doesn't have the pitching to make the playoffs.

Birds Make Final Roster Decisions - After some of the performances we saw this preseason, is anyone surprised with the roster turmoil this weekend? While the errant first cut list released by the Birds lent a strange twist, I think the guys that were actually cut deserved to go for the most part. I couldn't really complain with any of the moves. I thought the Bloom draft pick was doomed to fail from the start. Can anyone name any other little white dude from the ski slopes that made it as an NFL kick returner? Didn't think so. It's nice to see J.R. Reed back. I just hope he can add some life to the beleaguered return teams. I also liked the idea of bringing in another MLB'er, but why not a veteran? Why do the Birds think it is smarter to roll the dice with a Polynesian Undrafted Free Agent (Pago Togafau)?

Anyhow, I'm not sure if any of these moves make a difference, but I do like them adding Kimo Van Oelhoeffen. This team needs another run stuffer. I just hope this guy has some tread on his tires. My buddy Aran, the biggest Jets fan I know, seems to think he's done. We'll see. On the bright side, Aran is not the biggest football expert. During our fantasy draft this week, he thought 49ers QB Alex Smith was a midfielder for Man U.

In any event, my Eagles and NFL Preview is coming. Be on the lookout. Hopefully, I'll do much better than last year.

College Football Season Begins! Saturday was like a holiday around these parts. I pretty much watched college football from the start of ESPN's College Game Day (which rivals any of the NFL pre game shows) until the end of the Cal-Tennessee game. It was only week one and most of the ranked teams played cup cakes, but you always have so much emotion, as well as a few surprises in the college game and that's why I love it. Between the Michigan upset and the ceremony at Va Tech, you couldn't really ask for more. I just can't wait for next week's slate of games!

Rutgers Rolls - My boys from the Banks of the Raritan beat the crap out of the seriously outclassed Bison of the University of Buffalo. RU's #2 receiver, Tiquan Underwood, rolled up 248 yards receiving and 2 td's...and he also had another 40 yard td called back by a penalty. After storming out to a 28-0 first half lead, it seemed like the Knights got bored and only scored 10 points in the second half. While the first string defense shut out the Bison, they weren't really all that impressive. They are going to have to be much better this week defensively against the Navy Midshipmen.

Last Thursday's game was the first of my season ticket plan and I have to say that the changes around the program and the increased fan attention is annoying me to tears. I'll detail it at a later date. It deserves more than a weekend wrap up.

US Finally Wins An International Tourney - Finally, finally, finally, someone was able to put together a true US International team and not a team of All Stars filled with ball hogs that won't pass the ball. The US added role players like pass first point guard Jason Kidd, along with long range shooters like Michael Redd and Mike Miller, as well as a perimeter defender like Tayshaun Prince. As much as you can look to LeBron, Kobe and Carmelo for Team USA's success, I believe the true MVP's are team general manager, Jerry Colangelo, and Coach K.

Fantasy Football Draft Season Has Come And Gone - Thank God draft season is over. As mentioned previously, I had 3 drafts in 7 days. Not a fun undertaking. Overall, I'm happy with the three teams I drafted with input with various co-owners. Team #1 features Marc Bulger, Rudi Johnson, Javon Walker, Torry Holt and Tatum Bell. Team #2 features Bulger, LaDanian, Thomas Jones, Anquan Boldin, and Javon Walker. Team #3 features Tom Brady, Frank Gore, Reggie Bush, and Javon Walker. It would be a huge understatement to say I'm fucked in fantasy football this season if Javon Walker or Marc Bulger have bad years.

1 comment:

George said...

That golf tournament was pretty good on Labor Day.