Wednesday, September 05, 2007

NFL Season Preview


After today's Phils game, all I can say is thank you Lord Baby Jesus that football season is finally upon us. I can't take anymore of our fatally flawed baseball team. I have to turn my attention to the NFL or my head will burst.


With that being said and the NFL season commencing tomorrow, what better time than right now to release my NFL picks for this season. So, without further adieu....


NFC East:


1. Birds 11-5

2. Cowboys 10-6*

3. Redskins 7-9

4. Giants 5-11

* Wildcard qualifier


Summary: I really like the Birds' chances to repeat as NFC East champs. I expect the defense to improve as the season goes along as the linebackers will get better the more experience they get. There are two keys to the Birds' season: (1) the mental health of Big Red; and (2) the physical health of D Mac....As for the Boys, I don't see them showing marked improved under Wade Phillips....I think the Redskins have to be better, don't they? Gibbs has compiled too good a coaching staff and that defense always competes at a high level...I think the G Men finish in last place, but they don't have last place talent. I think this team quits on Tom Coughlin to finally get rid of him.


NFC South:


1. Saints 12-4

2. Buccaneers 8-8

3. Panthers 6-10

4. Falcons 3-13


Summary: I think we can all agree that the Saints are going to roll through this pitiful division. The defense isn't great, but is serviceable. Kind of like the hometown defense. I'm also really looking forward to year 2 of Reggie Bush....I'm also pretty sure that we're all rooting for everyone's favorite Red Headed Latino down in Tampa. I believe he'll spark the Bucs to at least a .500 record....You can put the Panthers in with the Giants. They don't have sub .500 talent, but I think this team has run its course with John Fox....Right about now, I'm guessing the Falcons were wishing they still had Matt Schaub. All is not lost for them, they can spend the entire year watching Brian Brohm highlights. Although they may want to skip last year's Rutgers game film.


NFC Central:


1. Lions 9-7

2. Bears 9-7

3. Packers 8-8

4. Vikings 5-11


Summary: This pick is a total reach. I think the Lions can be better this year and even win the division, but most of all I think the NFC Norris is brutal and the Lions win the division by default....Two weeks ago, I would have told you that the Bears don't even make the playoffs. However, I've spent the last week listening to ESPN Radio and they have convinced me that they are going to at least make a run towards the playoffs as a Wildcard...I really don't know what to make of the Packers either. They finished the season decently last year, but I'm not sure if that will translate to a decent year in '07....The Vikings start someone named Tavaris Jackson at QB. Never heard of him? Neither have I. 'Nuff said.


NFC West:


1. Rams 11-5

2. Seahaws 10-6*

3. 49ers 8-8

4. Cardinals 7-9


Summary: I have picked the Rams to win the West this year for two simple reasons: Stephen Jackson and BRIAN LEONARD. Sorry, my man crush has not yet worn off on him yet.....The Seahawks are too talented to not make the playoffs in this brutal conference...The Niners and the Cards are both getting better, but I'm not a believer in Alex Smith yet.


AFC East:


1. Pats 11-5

2. Jets 9-7*

3. Bills 7-9

4. Dolphins 6-10

*Wild Card qualifier


Summary: Just like everyone else, I see the Pats winning the AFC East, but I don't think they'll roll to a 15-1 record like everyone else....I also don't understand all the hatred for the J-E-T-S. They may have overachieved last year, but I think Man-genius will have them back in the playoffs again this year....I don't understand all the love for JP Losman lately. What have I missed?....Trent Green is brutal. The fans in Miami get to learn that this year.


AFC North:


1. Ravens 10-6

2. Steelers 10-6*

3. Bengals 7-9

4. Browns 7-9


Summary: I love the McGahee pickup on offense for the Ravens. I just don't know if his pick up offsets the loss of Adalius Thomas on defense....I really like the Steelers new coach. I think he gets them back in the playoffs this year....The Bengals defense sucks and that will overshadow their high powered offense....The Browns are getting better, but they still have a ways to go.


AFC South:


1. Colts 10-6

2. Jags 9-7

3. Texans 8-8

4. Titans 6-10


Summary: I really see the Colts taking a step back this year. Their defense was brutal last year and they only got worse by losing so many starters in the offseason....The Jags have a shot to get back to the playoffs once again on the strength of their defense and running game. I just don't understand the Byron Leftwich move. By the way, can anyone explain to me why the NFL has a team in Jacksonville and not L.A.?....I truly believe that the Texans will be better this year. I like the Schaub pickup and the defense they are building has the potential to be one of the best in the AFC....I think the Titans take a step back this year. I just don't get a great feeling about this team's offseason.


AFC West:


1. Chargers 13-3

2. Broncos 9-7

3. Chiefs 7-9

4. Raiders 4-12


Summary: The Chargers simply have the best talent in the NFL. This team's success comes down to their health in the playoffs and coaching. I don't understand how a team with this kind of talent ended up with Norv Turner as its coach....The Broncos make the playoffs this year if Cutler really grows up. I don't think he's quite ready yet....The Chiefs have the potential to completely melt down, but I'll give Herm the benefit of the doubt...I'm interested to see how 32 year old Lane Kiffin makes out this year, but I really want to see if JaMarcus Russell ever signs with the Raiders.


Playoffs:


NFC:


Wildcard Round:


Rams defeat Cowboys

Seahawks defeat Lions


Divisional Round


Saints defeat Seahawks

Eagles defeat Rams


NFC Champsionship Game:


Saints defeat Eagles


AFC Playoffs:


Wildcard Round:


Colts defeat Jets

Ravens defeat Steelers


Divisional Round:


Chargers defeat Ravens

Pats defeat Colts


AFC Championship Game:


Chargers defeat Pats


Super Bowl


Chargers defeat the Saints (Oh my god, I just picked Norv F'N Turner to win the Super Bowl. I must really be tired.)

No comments: