Thursday, September 27, 2007

Let's Settle Down Just A Tad


First off, before I'm branded a killjoy, let me say that I was as happy as the next guy to see the Phils finally claim a tie in the NL East standings after 159 games.

However, is it me or do these group of Phils seem a little too excited? The job is far from done. They still need to be one game better than the Mets over the next three and then the celebration can begin.

The Wife Beater and the Flyin' Hawaiian gave shaving cream pies in the face of both Michael Barkann and Mitch Williams in the post game show. Come on, fellas. Chill a little bit. You'll look like complete tools if you exhibit such behavior and then can't close the deal.

Seeing this type of celebration before actually accomplishing anything reminded me of one of my favorite lines from Pulp Fiction. I think we all remember the scene where Vincent Vega and Jules Winnfield had just cleaned the brains of Marvin out of the car in Jimmy's garage and seemed to think they had handled the situation. The Wolfe tersely told them: "Well, let's not start sucking each other's dicks quite yet." It was a reminder that they still had some work to do and they were not out of Dodge quite yet.

That's precisely how I feel about this team right now. It's great to be in the position they finally reached, but it is going to take huge friggin' balls to outduel the Mets over the last three games. We've been in this position the last couple years and come up empty. I'm tired of coming close. It's time to get the job done. No more excuses.
Tonight's game is over. Let's focus on the Nats.

Ok, let the bashing of the Philly Sports Phan began.

3 comments:

George said...

I see one big obstacle getting in the way this weekend. His name is Adam Eaton.

st. joe's nick said...

I agree with you 100% George. When I heard this morning that Cholly is going to trot out Eaton tomorrow night, I cringed.

Philly Phan said...

At least Ryan Howard is talking like he realizes they haven't won anything yet.

I wish his attitude would permeate the locker room.