Thursday, September 13, 2007

Tainted Super Bowl?


It was only a matter of time in this town....

Today, the remaining Birds from the 2004 NFC Championship questioned whether the New England Patriots' cheatin' ways extended back to their 24-21 loss in the 2004 Super Bowl.

Here are the notable quotes from selected Eagles as to whether they thought the Pats cheated their way to a Super Bowl victory:

Sheldon Brown: "Do I think about it? Mmm hmmm. It's crazy. I just don't know how far back it goes. Something's not right about that. I was like, 'Man, I never saw that many screens."

Brian Dawkins: "Now there's always going to be questions about the situation. Was it great adjustments at halftime or what?"

Reno Mahe: "I think they should forfeit, man. We won the Super Bowl. I think we should get it. I'm going to go trade my NFC championship ring for a Super Bowl ring."
This is crazy talk. There is no way the Pats didn't deserve to win that game. In addition to D Mac's lack of urgency to hurry up the offense when two scores were needed to tie the game, we could not stop the Pats when they were on offense. To me, it looked like good coaching. Plus, anyone who has watched his or her share of football will tell you that the way to combat an aggressive, blitzing defenses is with screens and draws. I'm guessing that had to be in the Pats' game plan and Bellichick and Crew waited to the second half to unleash it on the Birds.

Although, part of me wonders if the Pats did cheat in that game. Like Sheldon said, there sure were a lot of screens that day and more importantly, it seemed like every screen was run into an area that a blitzer had vacated.

In any event, I guess it doesn't matter. The Pats still won the game whether they cheated or not. As Donovan said today, "One thing people are forgetting is that even if you have the answers to the test, you still have to take the test. If they have an idea of what's coming, those guys still have to be able to execute the play."

I agree with DMac. Plus, I really don't have a problem with the Pats even if they did cheat. In my opinion, if you ain't cheatin', you ain't trying.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The issue I have is that everyone seems to have know that this is/was going on, but still if the PATS were doing it at the Superbowl AND it worked, I have a real problem with the coaching staff and Andy. It would appear that they/he were unprepared or didn't have a plan "B", which continues to be a HUGE problem.