Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Biron To Stick Around


The revolving door between the pipes for the Orange & Black may have finally come to a stop. Today, the Flyers signed Martin Biron to a year extension through the 2008-2009 season. Reports indicate that the extension was for $3.4 million per year.

Personally, I'm happy with the deal as I think Biron is a major upgrade in net over both Nitty and Esche. Biron is not a flat out stud, but he can be a top 10 NHL goalie. Plus, I like how Biron does not give up momentum killing goals. Nonetheless, I still think we slightly overpaid for a guy that has sat on the bench for the best year and a half. Obviously, the Orange & Black paid a premium to keep Biron from hitting the open market this July and justify the 2nd round pick we gave to Buffalo at the trade deadline. I just hope Biron's slightly inflated salary does not prevent the Flyers from signing a top line center and top defenseman.

Overall, this signing keeps up the momentum the organ-I-za-TION has shown since the trade dead line. Keep it up boys. Keep working hard, eh!

By the way, hey Marty! Now that Biron you are re-signed, how about starting to wear that new mask and pads you just received! We need a little levity at the end of this torturous season.

*************************
In other Flyers news, it looks like Forsberg wants to come back after the season. Check out this interview:
SUN MEDIA: Speaking of fun, Philly couldn't have been a lot of fun with the constant losing and the endless injures. Then you come to Nashville and pull your groin. How maddening has this season been for you?

FORSBERG: Very frustrating. We struggled in Philly. I didn't try to hide it or anything. I admit I didn't play good hockey. It was a tough situation. It's a hockey town, such a great place to play, then you struggle and the team is struggling. It was hard. It's hard to not look back but I have to look forward. I'm here now.

SUN MEDIA: You're not used to being on a loser. How did you deal with that unfamiliar territory in Philly?

FORSBERG: Yeah, it's been a while since I've been on a losing team. Even as a kid. I don't think you ever get used to it. It's very frustrating. And it was more frustrating because I couldn't really do anything about it. I felt like I didn't play good hockey. It was hard to help the team. That was the most frustrating part. If you play good and you feel healthy, and you lose, that's one thing, but if you feel you could have done better, that's another. It was my toughest year in the NHL by far, especially when you're talking about such a classy organization that's always had a good team. To come along and not win, that was tough.

SUN MEDIA: Any chance you could go back there as a free agent in the summer and take care of some unfinished business?

FORSBERG: I wouldn't close the door on it. I liked playing there. It's a great hockey town. They really care about hockey and have an owner who really wants to win. I definitely haven't closed that door. What happened in the end is what happens to everybody who's in the last year of their contract. We split in a good way.
These comments are respectful and all, but does anyone want him back? I'd rather go with someone younger and who can find skates that fit.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree. It's nice that Forsberg hasn't closed the door on coming back, but Philly needs to be looking at youth and signing "healthy" free agents.

TF

Anonymous said...

I say slam the door on him. I agree with anonymous, use the salary we'd be paying him to acquire younger, healthier players who don't pull their groin every time they bend over to tie up skates that don't fit just quite right.