Thursday, March 29, 2007

Surprise, Surprise....


Apparently, someone on the phriggin' Phils (yes, I think I like that one..."Phriggin' Phils"; Hopefully, I won't have to use it a whole lot this year, but we all know better) is ready for the season to start.

In his last Spring Training start before opening day, Brett Myers pitched 6 innings of three hit, shutout baseball today against the Devil Rays. I'm glad at least the Wife Beater is ready to go. Maybe he should rub off some of his mojo on his cohorts. Especially the Big Man, who is currently mired in a 1 for 23 slump.

Here's a question to raise some debate...exactly how well does Myers have to pitch this year before he's totally forgiven for the Boston fiasco from last year? Not only did he beat the shit out of his wife last year, but his selfish act pretty much lost us the Wild Card. If he doesn't miss a month of last season, we probably win a couple of those games that were started by Mathieson, etc.

Anyhow, back to my original premise. If Myers goes 17-6 and leads us to the postseason, do we absolve him? What if he wins 20 games, but we miss the playoffs? As for me, I'll never totally forget the incident, but if Myers wins a bunch of pressure packed games in September which helps lead us to October for the first time in 14 years, I think I can develop a case of selective amnesia.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Do you also think Pete Rose should be in the HOF? No matter how well he pitches he'll always be labeled a wife-beater-----which sucks for him. Now, if he doesn't deliver 17-20 wins this year, do we start bashing him the way Burrell gets it every night? That's the real question.

TF