Sunday, March 25, 2007

Opening Day Is Only A Week Away...How Optimistic Is Everyone Still?


Yup, your Philadelphia Phightin' Phils are about to break camp and head north to start the season in 7 short days. I don't know about you guys, but I'm pretty excited. However, despite my best efforts to ignore the Phils' struggles in the Exhibition Season, I'm still a bit nervous.

My Negadelphian partner in crime, Johnny Gold, had the same revelation this weekend. We both desperately want the Phils to break through this year, but did this team do enough to get over the hump?
No one stepped has up in the bullpen to bridge the gap from the starters to Flash Gordon. We haven't been able to trade Lieber for any help and now he's bitching and moaning about being the odd man out of the rotation. Let's not forget that none of the catchers seemed to really show that they are starter material either. I also get the distinct feeling that 7 innings of Wes Helms at the hot corner every night could be an adventure. I am not even going to mention Garcia's injury problems, Eaton's ineffective outings, or Burrell picking up where he left off last year, as I really don't like what I've seen so far from any of them.

Possibly the most frightening thing to come out of Spring Training lately is that the Big Man is getting a tad bit frustrated with his performance so far. I know it's probably not a big deal, but we need Howard to be hot from Jump Street.

With all that being said, I still think the Phils can make the post season, they just need a couple unexpected people to step up. It happens to everyone else. Christ, last year, Endy Friggin' Chavez was a major contributor for the Mets. Why can't that happen here. After 15 post season less years, we are so due for someone to step up for this team in a position of need.

Who that guy will be? Your guess is as good as mine. I just hope this Mystery Man is ready to make himself known April 2nd and beyond.

No comments: