Friday, April 06, 2007

Bullpen Help On The Way?


Pat Gillick, our ex-pat GM who now lives in Toronto, Canada, made a deal today for some so- called bullpen help. The Phils gave up cash to Gillick's home town Blue Jays in return for right handed reliever, Francisco Rosario, who had been designated for assignment (i.e., waived, cut, fired, shit canned, etc.) last week.

I don't know about you guys, but I'm so relieved to hear that we traded for an extra arm to come out of the 'pen, especially when I learned he had a 6.65 ERA in 17 appearances last year. My fears were also allayed when I read that Gillick believes that Rosario "turned a corner this spring" and "has a lot of upside". I don't know about you guys, but I now feel so reassured!

When most teams come into a season with postseason dreams, but later find a glaring hole on their roster, their GM searches far and wide to find a replacement. Not Pat Gillick. Apparently, he trotted his lazy ass a few miles from his home to the Sky Dome and offered cash to the Jays for a retread.

Thanks for the hard work, Pat. Nothing engenders confidence in a GM like a trade of convenience.

No comments: