Sunday, April 01, 2007

PSP's Phils '07 Preview - Ill-advised Leap of Faith?


Another Phils' season is upon us and with it comes hopes and expectations that aren't common in these parts. We usually expect nothing out of our Phils. Personally, I only ask that the Phils keep me interested from the end of the Flyers playoffs until the start of the Eagles' season. Well, this year there are no Flyers' playoffs this Spring, so my focus, as well as the entire Delaware Valley, will be on the Phightins' from Jump Street.

To me, this season seems to be shaping up like the upcoming Sopranos final season. We're all hoping for the best, but deep down we expect an episodes to be wasted on a ridiculous dream sequence and a lot of questions to go unanswered...or in the Phils' case, we fear that a good number of games will be blown by the bullpen and a bunch of losses because our inability to manufacture runs.

Our Phils' have contended for the wild card the last handful of seasons. Over the last two years, they've even come down to the last weekend with a shot to make the postseason before bowing out. So, the question this year is whether the Phils finally did enough to get over the hump???

In order to make such a decision, it's helpful to do a comparison of last year's squad to your 2007 Phightin' Phils:

First Base: 2006 Ryan Howard vs. 2007 Ryan Howard: Obviously, this is a push (although, I don't think it is possible for the Big Man to be as outstanding as last year.)

Second Base: 2006 Chase Utley vs. 2007 Chase Utley: Again a push. Chase and the Big Man combine to give the Phils the best right side of the infield in the World.

Shortstop: 2006 J Roll vs. 2007 J Roll: Again a push. Sorry I know this isn't real exciting so far. Although, I like the confidence J Roll showed predicting the Phils to win the Division.

Third Base: 2006 David Bells vs. 2007 Wes Helms: David Bell was brutal at the plate last year before he was traded, but at least he made most of the plays hit right at him. Helms will be a huge improvement at the plate, but I think we'll see an awful lot of Babe-raham Nunez from the 7th inning on. Overall, I still give a slight edge to the 2007 Phils.

Catcher: 2006 Mike Lieberthal vs. 2007 Rod Barajas/Carlos Ruiz: Anyone is better than the defensive liability that was Lieby. The guy was a loser. The pitchers hated throwing to him. I think we'll be much better off this year even if the catchers don't contribute as much offensively.
Left Field: 2006 Pat Burrell/David Dellucci/Jeff Conine vs. 2007 Pat Burrell: Without any real alternatives on the bench to everyone's favorite whipping boy, there is no way this team is better in left field. Big Edge to the 2006 Phils

Centerfield: 2006 Aaron Rowand vs. 2007 Aaron Rowand: This is a real shaky push. It remains to be seen how much Rowand lost as a result of his injuries last year.

Right Field: 2006 Bobby Abreu vs. 2007 Shane Victorino: Push...yes, PUSH! Of course, Bobby was a much better offensive player, but he was such a buzz kill to the team. I don't think it was any surprise that this team took off last year after his personality was removed from the equation. I think Victorino will do a lot of the little things to help this team win.

Bullpen - 2006 Flash, Arthur Rhodes, Cormier vs. 2007 Flash, Madson, Six Finger Alfonseca - The fact that Flash is a year older means this group is not as good as last year. I'll give the 2007 Phils a slight disadvantage. However, we all expect Pat Gillick to make a trade somewhere along the line to upgrade this group.

Starting Pitching: 2006 Myers, Lieber, Madson, Lidle and Hamels vs. 2007 Myers, Moyer, Hamels, Garcia and Eaton: Major edge to the 2007 Phils. Last year, the starting pitching was brutal until about August. This is the biggest upgrade on the team.

Coaching: 2006 Cholly and no real bench coach vs. 2007 Cholly, Jimy Williams and Davey Lopes: Right behind starting pitching, this is the next biggest advantage for the 2007 Phils. I sure hope the new bench coaches put their stamp on the team and keep Cholly from blowing a couple of games a month.

Bench: 2006 David Dellucci and a bunch of turds vs. Some Guy Named Jason Werth and an interchangeable group of Turds: The 2006 Phils get the edge here unless Werth overcomes his past injury problems to become a major surprise.

When all is said and done, the 2007 Phils are the winners by a score of 4-3-5. Yes, as Nick Backay once said, things are much easier when you break them down scientifically.

Ok, we've established this team is better, but is it good enough to finally give us some October baseball? I think this team can contend for the Wild Card, but I don't see us winning the division. However, I don't think we'll be losing out to the team everyone is predicting. I see the Mets taking a step back. I hate their starter pitching and I believe some of their guys will take a step back. I like the Braves to win the NL East.

I agree with the local media pundits that if this team can stay away from their annual April swoon, then their chances to make the playoffs improve a great deal. However, their miserable Exhibition Season is not giving me the warm and fuzzies about the possibilities of them jumping out to a hot start. Although, I do see them going at least .500 and then turning things up a notch as the weather gets warmer here in Philly. Plus, I really believe we will get a bullpen arm come hell or high water. I just hope it's sooner than later because the Phils' motley crew of a bullpen desperately needs an infusion of talent.

Ok guys, this is a leap of faith and I know I will wind up being burned by it, but I'm picking our Phightins' to win 91 games and clinch their first postseason berth since '93.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a fair assessment. Let's hope they can sprint outta the gates like they did in '93 and make a serious run to the WS. They have the talent, but will they be as scrappy as that squad?

TF

peacock805 said...

I hate having a job and living in Cleveland. All I ever hear about is the Indians and their inevitable collapse. I miss the negativity surrounding teams that I care about. Plus this job thing is getting in the way of me watching the opener today as well as 4 other games this month.

Philly Phan said...

Yo Peacock,

Make sure to go support your State University in the Women's NCAA National Championship Game out there in Cleveland tomorrow night.

George said...

The team will win however many games it takes to fall 3-4 games short of the wild card.