Monday, April 30, 2007

Taking A Closer Look At The Birds' Draft


I thought it would be useful to take a look at the Birds' draft

2nd Round, 36th overall (from DAL via CLE) - QB Kevin Kolb - As much as I've tried, I can't talk myself into this pick. All day, I read and listened to the national media rip this pick. I can't say I disagree with them. Basically, the Birds wasted a top 40 pick on a guy that won't likely play until his 4th year. On a team that had a number of needs, such a decision was unconscionable.

I was ok with trading down to 36, but the decision to draft Kolb was a flat out mistake. Are you telling me that this team is so good that they could not have used a year one impact from S Eric Weddle, RB Brian Leonard, MLB David Harris, CB Chris Houston, TE Zach Miller, or WR Dwayne Jarrett?

PROGNOSIS: Overall, this pick means that the marriage between D Mac and the Birds may not be as long term as we all once thought. I don't mind the drafting of a QB, but I really do not think it was wise to waste our first pick on one.

2nd Round, 57th overall - DE Victor Abiamiri - This is my favorite pick of their draft. This team needed a bigger, sturdier D end, and this guy appears to fit the bill. His stats indicate that he can also rush the passer as he compilted 10.5 sacks last year at ND, but it sure seems like he beat up on the lesser lights on the Irish's schedule. I didn't see many big plays against USC or Michigan. However, I did see a number of sacks against Navy and Stanford.

PROGNOSIS: I have a feeling this kid will get a lot of PT this year. I really doubt that all 4 DE's ahead of this kid will stay healthy this year. Our DE's never stay healthy. It is inevitable that he becomes a major part of next year's rotation.

3rd Round, 87th overall, (from Dallas) - LB Stewart Bradley - I love the idea of drafting a big, physical OLB to play the strong side. I just question if this big, slow, goofy looking white kid can play in the NFL. Hopefully, he at least contributes on special teams next year.

PROGNOSIS: A project that should hopefully contribute as an every down linebacker by later in the year. On the bright side, the drafting of this kid led to the Bow Tie Man being let go. Thank you, Baby Jesus.

3rd Round, 90th overall - RB Tony Hunt - This kid is war horse. I really like this pick. Yes, I would have preferred my boy, Brian Leonard, or Michael Bush of Louisville, but I can live with this pick. I believe Hunt will have the biggest impact of any draft pick next year.

PROGNOSIS: Finally, the big back we always wanted. He should get at least 4-5 carries a game to pick up 3rd and 1's to keep drives going. I have a feeling that he'll get real familiar with Shawn Andrews, Jamaal Jackson and Jon Runyan.

5th Round, 159th overall (from Dallas) - FS C.J. Gaddis - I like this pick. The Birds took a flier on a kid that came out a year too early and has the tools to become a safety. Hopefully, B Dawk will take him under his wing and teach this fellow Clemson Tiger a thing or two.

PROGNOSIS: Probably not the future replacement at FS for B Dawk, but you never know. This kid does have the corner skills at FS that the Birds covet.

5th Round, 162nd overall - TE Brent Celek - I have two words for Brent Celek..."F&*k You!" Celek had a huge play in Cinci's upset of my Scarlet Knights last year. I'll never forgive the guy until he makes his first positive play for the Birds.

PROGNOSIS: This kid reminds me a whole lot of Matt Schobel, except that he's a little better blocker. I wouldn't expect much out of him.

6th Round, 201st overall - CB Rashad Barksdale - I heard this kid is a pretty good outfielder. Maye we canloan him to the Phils. Lord knows they need outfield help.

PROGNOSIS: Doubt he makes the team.

7th Round, 236the overall - RB Nate Ilaoa - This kid is 5'8" 255 lbs. This is a man after my own heart. He gives me hope that I could've been a professional athlete. Of course, my fat ass couldn't do the 40 in 7.0 seconds let alone a sub 5.0 40 that the NFL requires.

PROGNOSIS: I'm pretty sure he'll end up with Reno Mahe working as a server at Chickies and Pete's come September 10th.

No comments: