Thursday, April 05, 2007

Phils' Swept Off Their Feet, But Phans Aren't

There ain't a whole lot to say about today's 8-4 loss to the Braves. Basically, the Phils got taken to the woodshed today after blowing the first two games of the series. Unfortunately, I expect similar result when the Phils travel to Shea to face the Mets early next week. It sure looks like J Roll's comments sure stirred up the bee hives of their NL East brethren.

Overall, I guess I'm not as pissed off as last night. (I guess you can tell by the lack of vitriol in this post.) However, the Phils' start to the season is still pretty friggin' disappointing. In the comments section of yesterday's Gillick article, my buddy the Captain suggested that we give this team 20 games (the equivalent of two regular season NFL games) before drawing any conclusions as to the potential long term success of this team. I suppose that's the prudent, reasonable thing to do, but I live in the greater Philadelphia metropolitan area and it is my absolute birth rite to jump to wild conclusions about our sports team.

As such, after witnessing the first series of the season, my gut tells me that this team is no different than the other Phils' teams of the past 5-6 years which have been mired in "Above Average Mediocrity". This team still lacks clutch, situational hitting and a dependable bullpen.

Therefore, until I see differently, I'm sticking to this early season conclusion....82-80.

No comments: