Thursday, April 26, 2007

Draft Busts and Steals


With the best sports related event of the year (which isn't really a sports event) on the horizon, it's time for me to put on my Mel Kiper hat and give you some NFL draft busts and steals. I know my opinion doesn't matter a whole lot, but I wanted to throw these out there nonetheless.

Busts:

Brady Quinn, QB, Notre Dame - As I said earlier in the week, I just think Quinn is nothing but a product of the Notre Dame hype machine.

Alan Branch, DT, Michigan - All I read about this guy is that he is incredibly lazy. Not a good quality for a defensive tackle.

Ted Ginn, Jr., WR, The Ohio St University - Teddy Ginn is a latter day version of Desmond Howard. He'll be a great punt returner, but always leave you wanting more as a receiver.

Leon Hall, CB, Michigan - I watched Dwayne Jarrett abuse this guy in the Rose Bowl and then we learned that Jarrett runs a 4.6+ 40. I don't foresee great things for this guy unless he ends up in a Tampa 2 defense.

Marshawn Lynch, RB, Cal - Putting a guy with bad character in Green Bay may be a good thing, but defenses in the Pac 10 blow so I'm always wary of RB's from that conference.

Steals:

Dwayne Jarrett, WR, USC - Now that this guy is slipping down the draft boards, I think some team is going to find themselves a steal in the 20-30 range. He was ultra productive at SC and has great size to be a big time pro. He isn't blazing fast on the stopwatch, but he sure looked fast on the field. Christ, he seemed like he was always open.

Eric Wright, CB, UNLV - Honestly, I never saw the guy play, but he was supposedly the best DB at USC before he transferred as a result of some character issues. Wright sure is feeling the backlash of Pac Man Jones. It sounds like some team is going to get a first round talent in the second or third round.

Brian Leonard, RB/FB, Rutgers - I really don't need to elaborate here. Just watch this. Witness the man, the myth, the legend.

Michael Bush, RB, Louisville - This guy might need another "red shirt" year to completely recover from his broken leg, but when he fully recovers, he will be a steal. If the Birds can't land Leonard, I would be really happy with Bush in his place.


H. B. Blades, LB, Pittsburgh - I just loved how hard this kid played his entire career. He won't be a star, but he will contribute in this league.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can see Branch as a lazy shit but B.Quinn as a bust?? He will be a good quaterback maybe great some day. He knows the NFL system...not only that, he won in that system. Hard to tag him as a bust.

Farrell