Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Eagles Wrap Up


Once again, I'm pretty late with my analysis of the Birds' 38-24 win over the Niners. Sorry folks, but as you can tell I've been overcome with emotion now that my Rutgers Scarlet Knights have entered the Top 25. Plus, the Phils have put me through the wringer the last two nights. Despite these distractions, I'm now ready to discuss this week's game.

Sunday's game was pretty much all about McNabb and Westbrook's dominance and the defense crumbling again in the second half.

McNabb is back to his Mr. September self. Over the last two years, his numbers in September are flat out spectacular. He's averaging 320 passing yards and 2.5 passing touchdowns per game the last two Septembers. McNabb did it this week without his new favorite receiver, Donte Stallworth, who was out with a pulled hammy. It didn't phase D Mac at all. He just turned to Reggie Brown, Westbrook and even got a big play out of back up TE, Matt Schobel. As long as this offense stays healthy, I don't see the offense being stopped this season, but as we all know, that's a pretty big "if".

Westbrook was pretty damn efficient with the ball on Sunday, huh? He averaged 13.67 yards per touch on Sunday and scored 3 td's. I just wish I could watch him handle the ball once without being petrified that he might not get up from a hit. I hate to agree with Eskin, but he is the perfect fit for this offense. Although, I still think he'd be even more effective with a bigger, more effective back to take over Bucks' role and take the heat off B West.

Ok...on to the defense. There were some bright spots: McCoy is showing he belongs in the NFL. Michael Lewis was slightly better. Howard had a nice game as well. I know it's only one game since he went down, but this team is really going to miss The Freak this year. I also think it was a ridiculous decision to put Hood out there so soon. The poor guy was not ready to be back out on the field. You could see him struggling right off the bat. They could have gotten through that game without him. Obviously, the defense has to perform better in the second halves of games. This week wasn't as bad as the Giants collapse, but it was still pretty disconcerting.


One last note, the Mike Patterson touchdown will go down as one of the funniest td's in Birds' history. I think my fat ass would have looked faster and more graceful running down field. In fact, I hope you all got to hear Joe Conklin's impersonation of Merrill Reese doing the play by play on Patterson's run on 610 this morning. It was pretty hysterical, but unfortunately, I can't find it on the net to add a link.

In any event, we only have to get through a game with the Pack and Brett Favre before hell is unleashed upon T.O. and the Cowboys. T minus 11 days and counting.....

1 comment:

Philly Phan said...

I LOVE THAT T SHIRT!