Sunday, September 24, 2006

Philly Sports Phan's Eagles Prediction


Is it me or has every Eagle fan you know gone incognito this week and really focused on the Phils? I definitely fit into that category. I haven't read one Eagles related story this week other than the predictable stories about whether Westbrook would play on his wonky knee.

Over the last day or so, I have thought about this game quite a bit. In my opinion, the Birds' defense isn't as good as they looked in the first three quarters of last week's game or as bad as they looked the rest of the game. However, I think the offense IS that good. Their performance has been the biggest revelation for me over the first two games. D Mac is back and he has legit weapons in Westbroook (when healthy), Stallworth and LJ. The line is solid and they have some nice complimentary receivers. They only lack another back to pick them up yards on the ground when necessary. (I still wish they dumped Buck and traded for the Nigerian Med Student, Samkon Gado. He would have been an outstanding fit.) The rest of this season comes down to the defense.

The DB's are in disarray due to injury and Michael Lewis' unexplainable slump. (Maybe he's been hanging out with Pat Burrell.) I really think our cherished defensive line rotation will be hurt significantly by the loss of the Freak. Guys like Darren Howard and former first round pick, Jerome McDougal, really need to step it up for this defense to succeed with second and third string corners on the field. In any event, I think the defense can get us through the next two weeks prior to the 10/8 showdown with Dallas. Then it will get hairy.

Ok, back to the Birds' trip out to Frisco to play the Niners. Frank Gore will really test our improved run defense this week. Stopping him will be key. If the defense holds him in check, the onus then goes back to young QB, Alex Smith, and we all know how young QB's do against Jim Johnson defenses. I've heard some people say the Birds will have a hangover this week after the debacle against the Giants. I disagree. I think the offense will come out flying. The one thing we've seen during the Reid/McNabb era is that they bounce back from bad losses. I don't expect this week to be any different.

I see a 31 to 17 Eagles victory. By the way, I'm now 2-0 with my picks against the spread. How about a little love?

No comments: