Friday, September 15, 2006

Philly Sports Phan’s Eagles Pick – Week 2: Birds vs. G-Men


After my successful debut as a prognosticator last week, I thought I’d get much praise from the community. To my shock and awe, I have not heard a word. I thought I’d get at least one “thanks for the input, I won a ton of money with your advice,” but instead I didn’t hear from a soul. Oh well, I won’t hold it against you guys. Although, be warned, if I don’t hear anything next week after providing another winning pick, I might withhold my pick for the Niners game. Without further adieu……

When it comes to picking games in the NFL involving two similarly talented teams, I have found it most useful to look at which team is more desperate for the victory to determine the winner. Clearly, the G Men DO NOT want to drop 2 games in back of the Birds with a trip to the beautiful Pacific Northwest against the defending NFC Champs staring them in the face for week 3. There is way too much validity to that statement to not give it sufficient weight in the handicapping process.

However, this is definitely a measuring stick game for the Birds. As such, I expect them to play a very tough game against the G Men and show the NFL that they are ready to contend again in the NFC. Remember, D Mac played in neither NY game last season and the Birds still hung tough in both games. Now that Birds appear to be healthy and much improved over last season, they are ready to serve notice to the defending NFC East Champs that this is different season. All this being said, I really do not like our back seven against the Giants’ skill players. There are too many physical mismatches here for me to get real excited about the Birds chances.

As a result, I see a 23 to 17 victory for the Bad Guys. Sorry people, but I don’t like this matchup for our Iggles.

No comments: