Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Silver Lining?


Well, we’re now two days post collapse and I’m only feeling slightly better. I think that’s because I’ve done my best to repress the memory. I haven’t read the local sports page or watched Comcast Sports Night. I’ve just tried to lead my daily life and somehow forget about the most devastating Philadelphia collapse since the 2000 Flyers lost 3 straight to the New Jersey Devils to lose the Eastern Conference Finals.



I thought I was doing a decent job of recovering until a Giants fan buddy (who happens to moonlight as Jets’ Head Coach, Eric Mangini) called to ask me if how I was making out today. No matter how many times he told me the Birds still have the look of a 10-6 playoff team, I still can’t help to feel hollow like something has been taken from my life. Maybe it’s the loss of the Freak who is done for the year (and maybe his career for that matter) with an injury suffered in an overtime period that shouldn’t have even happened. Or, maybe it’s the fact that I’m missing that feeling of satisfaction which would surely have come had the Birds held on for the victory. Whatever it is, I realize I’m being completely melodramatic and should just move on to looking forward to this week’s game against the Niners.

In any event, I spent most of the last couple days searching for a silver lining to this devastating loss. The best I could come up with was that the same Giants fan that called me earlier today suffered the loss of his dog yesterday. It would have been a real shame if this guy had to lose to a heated rival like the Birds and then lose his dog in consecutive days. (In fact, I think if I try hard enough, I could turn these events into the chorus of a hit country-western song.)

I know…I know….you guys are probably saying that I’m grasping at straws, but it’s a real struggle to find anything good coming out of this loss.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, they did show they could be dominant against a good team during stretches of a game. now if they could just extend the "stretches" to 4 quarters, they may have something. They also showed incredible depth along the d-line. after kearse's loss, they're going to need it.