Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Everybody Was Kung Fu Fighting?


My buddy Alex reminded me that I neglected to comment on the David Akers scuffle following the opening kickoff of Sunday's debacle. I guess after the all the activity surrounding the fourth quarter collapse, that event seemed as significant as a pimple on Big Red's butt.

Now that I have been reminded of this ridiculously one sided scuffle, all I can say is that what Akers did was the most idiotic decision I’ve seen by a football player on a sideline, since a drunken Broadway Joe Namath told ESPN’s Suzy Kolber that he wanted to kiss her on national TV.

What was Akers thinking? I know he’s a macho black belt kung fu guy, but what on Earth made him think that taking on the entire Giants sideline would be a smart idea, especially when you are a tiny freakin’ KICKER?!?!?! This fracas made me realize that Akers is the absolute last guy on the Birds I want to go out to have a beer with. He seems like the kind of guy that would take on a group of drunken dudes at a bar for making a harmless comment to his girl instead of smartly letting it go and avoiding the inevitable beating.

Anyhow, I think Akers deserved the beating he took after taking a cheap shot at Giants’ coach, Charles Way – a Philly native, no less. Plus, I love the comments from one of the guys that laid the wood to Akers, Giants’ offensive tackle, Luke Petitgout:
“"I'm a protector, that's my job; to protect people. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. He purposely put his head down and tried to hit one of our guys in the head with his helmet, try to be a punk and cheap-shot somebody, especially a coach who's standing there with nothing on, in street clothes. I tried to let him know that doesn't happen."
Next time, David, do us all a favor and just stick to kicking.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

when i saw that whole thing go down my first thought was where is some of his squad???....your supposed to stick up for your teammates....i was very disappointed with the lack of support from his boys....