Sunday, September 24, 2006

On The Verge of History


Please forgive me this trespass. I know that I have set this up as a Philly Sports site, but I have to comment on my Rutgers Scarlet Knights. After today's 56-7 shellacking of Howard, they are out to a 4-0 start for the first time in 25 years. Plus, since winning a close opening game down in Chapel Hill against UNC, the Knights have outscored their last three opponents 113 to 14.

Plus, since they were ranked 28th in the latest poll and a number of teams in the 20-25 territory lost this week, it is almost a near certainty that the Knights will be ranked this week. Wow, we are really dealing with the Theater of the Absurd.

They have compiled this many points without their quarterback making a meaningful throw since the opener. The Knights have two outstanding running backs, a very solid offensive line, play solid defense and have a playmaking group of special teamers. For one of the few times in my life, this team is FUN to watch. It is actually fun to now go out in public wearing Rutgers paraphernalia. I no longer get weird looks. Recently, the clerk at a local Wawa that talked my ear off about how his best friend is a back up linebacker on the team. Friends of mine no longer laugh at me when I ask them if they want to go to games. This really is becoming bizarro world.

One note of caution to my fellow Scarlet Knight fans: the schedule is going to get much tougher. The Big East schedule starts with a trip to South Florida, followed by road games at Navy and Pitt. Sure, the Knights could win all three, but they could also lose two out of three. Sooner or later, Mike Teel is going to have make some throws to loosen up the defenses we're going to face. Plus, his best wide receiver may have been lost for the season with a broken ankle.

While these are very real concerns, excuse me if I bask in the glow of success for the first time in a LONG time.

No comments: